Another service bites the dust:

It's hard to believe that we once had the finest postal system in the world. As one service after another is cut we shall soon have no Post Office at all. Here's the latest service to fall victim to the corporate madness:

Quote "I am writing to let you know that from 1 April 2013 the following NS&I services will no longer be available at the Post Office®:

• collecting NS&I Cash ISA withdrawal payments in cash
• buying Premium Bonds in cash over the counter " Unquote.

I don't know whether I mentioned this before. I am a trustee of a small charitable trust, and for various reasons it made sense originally to rent a PO Box. When this came up for renewal in 2011 the rental had gone up by FIFTY-NINE PERCENT. We swallowed hard and paid up. In 2012 it went up again - another THIRTY-EIGHT PERCENT, at which point we did what I guess they are hoping everyone will do - cancelled the PO Box and went over to using a normal street address. This looks like another service they don't want to do any more. And another thing - I get a lot of enveloped circulars and such like franked at 31p. How come, when second class for the likes of us is 50p a throw?

The former is the business rate, available to those who pay a rental for a franking machine from the Post Orifice.

The postal service over there is also going to pot.

Last year the postoffice sent us and the other 15 houses and farms down our road, a letter saying, they will no longer deliver letters and parcels to our door, and we will have to collect the letters from a communal letter box they will put up at the end of our road, 2.5 km away, and all parcels will have to be collected from the post office 18 km away, and we will only have 3 letter deliverys a week.

I am trying to run a forestry buisness and with a service like that it is hard...................