The 'Night Terrors', anybody had to deal with them?

If so , how did it go?

Sorry to keep banging on about it , but has anybody else ever come across this very traumatising condition?

We put my lad to bed at the normal time (8,30pm ish) by half past nine he's awake again and crying , in a few seconds he's really screaming and shaking , halucinating about something 'going too fast' and money 'spinning' that he can't stop.

It takes me ages to finally calm him down enough to even concider putting him back to bed, which is mine ! SWMBO then gets in the spare bed and I snuggle up to him for the night, he has the odd shake again but then he's out like a light.

I had him at the docs again yesterday, all his 'vitals' are fine, there's nothing bothering him at school, there's nothing upsetting him here , and the worst part is the doc says "He'll grow out of it, it could take a day, it could take a month, it could take a year !"

Anybody else ever come across this horrible state of affairs , and how long did it last for you ?

Beefsteak, I'm not sure if you've already done this but here is an article that is on the NHS site. It gives some useful information to help your son. I hope that it's some help to you.

Many children experience nightmares and night terrors, but
most grow out of them. They don't cause any long-term harm to your
child.

<CUT>

Thanks, we have read this, I just wondered if any one else had had to deal with it, as it says it really is terryfying when he kicks off.

Although there is one thing slightly wrong in that write up, he can sort of remember them, which in a way seems to make me feel worse as I think he may be scared to go to sleep at night, but so far (Touch wood) it hasn't affected him in this way.

When I was young I used to have some recurring dreams (I know this is not quite the same thing) - such as falling from a great height. I would wake up in a state of panic and sometimes crying. If I called out, my mum would insist on me getting out of bed and going to the toilet - making sure that I had thoroughly woken up. If I just lay there and relapsed into sleep again, I would often find the same or another unpleasant dream - or dreams - returning within a short time. My grandma lived with us, and had a double bed, and if I was in a real state she would call me to go in with her. I am certain that knowing an adult is close at hand gives the re-assurance to go back to sleep, rather than desperately trying to stay awake.

The other thing that occurs to me is that things "going too fast" or "spinning" could suggest some sense of dizziness, maybe vertigo or ear infection disturbing his sense of balance. Of course I might be completely out with this, but it may be worth thinking about. Hope you can get it sorted for the poor old lad - panic in the night is awful.

What Stephen says about moving makes sense. Conventional advice from people who study dreams is that to try and resume a (pleasant) dream there should be as little movement as possible upon waking before going back to sleep.

I thought that about the inner ear too , but the doctor examined him and says they're fine.

I've just fetched him from school and the first thing he's done is climb on my lap and started to fall asleep whilst I'm typing this reply ! I'll let him have a nap before I make dinner , that might take the edge off of it and he won't go off too deep tonight.

Just a thought here. Beefy and it may be nothing to do with the problem. My youngest daughter was hyperactive. My late wife was a real researcher and rather than just resort to drugs as the doctors tend to recommend she looked into the issues of artificial flavors and colors in our food. Long story short. She changed our foods to avoid these additives as much as possible. We all felt better and the hyperactivity cleared up. Only came back when she got into some candies or other highly colored and sugared foods. Also no TV within a couple of hours or so of bedtime. Not trying to suggest this is your problem, but sometimes it pays to look into areas we might not have thought of.

Thanks for removing that link Mick!

I was just about to show it to SWMBO so as we could possibly try out some of the reccomendations tonight !!

Thanks again.

Reminder:

Please do not copy and post content from other sites.

Post a link to that site.

Reasons:

(1) Google will penalise us heavily for duplicating content. (Google Panda)

We lose our web ranking, our visitors and prospective new members.

(2) No posts on this board are archived, posts from 2004 are still visible.

Lets keep it that way.

To prevent us having to delete content to keep our database manageable,

please Do not post unnecessary material including such content and over quoting.

:) Hi Beefsteak, sounds very much like your young son may have an inner ear problem: labyrinthitis / vertigo; especially as you describe his symptoms of 'spinning' not long after he has dropped off to sleep. Can you imagine how frightening the feeling of 'spinning' must be to a child of a tender age?

For the last 14 months I have lived with labyrinthitis / vertigo and still suffer occasionally, a 'spinning' sensation either before sleep or during sleep.

There is no cure for labyrinthitis, except not to get tired and also to cut out caffeine - tea, coffee, other drinks. :)

I intended to go through it again with SWMBO before putting him to bed (It's all quiet on the western front so far !) that's all . I'd sat her down, got Adam and poof !! it was gone ! I couldn't find it on the NHS site again , I'll have to have another look in the morning (I'm dog tired and off to bed now .

Yes, thats the one, StephenFord. I put it on for Beefsteak because there were a few good tips to follow regarding his son. I hadn't realised that it was, according to mick2me, unnecessary material.

StephenFord, I would appreciate it if you'd let me know how you post a link to a site (the address in blue print) as we aren't all experts when using the computer.

Michael and Beefsteak - actually it's dead easy (it has to be for me to be able to do it - I'm as thick as a plank when it comes to computing!) Simply copy the address line of the site you want to link to - i.e. highlight it and hit ctrl+c (which is 'copy'), then go to your post on this site (i.e. the box I'm typing in right now) and then hit ctrl+v (which is 'paste'). The address will appear as ordinary black type - until you press "post" when it will miraculously turn into a blue link.

There are other quicker ways to do it (copy and paste icons), but this is the way I got used to, and I can't be bothered to confuse myself with alternatives.

We are aware that some members may not be as computer savvy.

As StephenFord says, 'shortcut keys' are faster than using your mouse to copy and past.

Control +

C = Copy

X = Cut

V = Paste (Think of the down arrow)

You can also copy Linked Text into your post

The Panda is watching you!

which looks better than

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9616&hl=panda

Not really what you want to hear but I'm 65 this year and still suffer the same problem of "night terrors" !

I started when I was very young and my parents tried everything but it did become less and easier to cope in my teens and older life.

My dad was the only one who could calm me as a kid, and I wouldn't let my mum or anyone else near me ! I would be screaming and in a pool of sweat !

As an adult I now accept it and my wife just gives me a shake and I'm fine. The next morning I usually have forgotten, until she tells me I woke her up screaming again !

My youngest daughter also suffers with it, she's 28, and a grandson has it too ! so maybe its genetic.

Thanks Banjo, my life is now complete ............... slywink

Incidentally Mick , there's a method of using search engines to only get the word or words you want, I know you posted about it a couple of weeks back. I've used it and it works, but I'm buggered if i can remember it ! Something about " " around words if that's all you want etc. Can you help please?

If you have copied it from the menu bar it may already be there.

If its something that you found by a google search, go back to the Google results page and copy the text link with the embedded link address, then paste it into your post. It will look like this...

How to Copy, Cut, and Paste for Beginners