Allport Street, Derwent Street, Nottingham

Does anyone know where these two Streets were in Nottingham ?

Allport Street, U.S.D. is where my Grandmother was born in 1891, I have been told that USD was the local health center of the time where births took place amongst many other things.

I assume that it has now long since dissapeared when the slum clearances took place, but it would be nice to locate where it was on a modern map.

Derwent Street was / is somwhere in South East Nottingham according to the 1911 census, if anyone has any idea where these two streets were, I would be very grateful.

Many Thanks

Phill

I was just going to post that I thought Derwent St was off Kirkewight St when I saw the map. "Poets Corner Pub" & the "Grove Cinema" at the end on K-W St. and Arkwright St. station on the viaduct above at the other end?

Thanks Cliff, you've done it again.

I'd just like to thank you and everyone else on here for their help,

I've pobably past close to these places over the years on my visits to Nottingham without realising how close I was to where my relatives lived.

Many Thanks

Phill

Isn't it Queens Walk? If so I believe it was originally an all-age school (in the days when 14 was school leaving age). It became "Primary" (i.e. infants and juniors) when the senior age ranges moved to the newly built Mundella. I think Mundella's first headmaster, Mr Jones, may have transferred from Queens Walk. (My grandmother attended Mundella in Mr Jones' day). My mum attended Queens Walk for a time, as the family lived at various addressed in the Meadows in the late 1920s and early 30s (57 Kinglake Street, 54 Turney Street are two addresses that come to mind). Mum reckoned that Queens Walk was very strict - you got the strap across the hand for making a blot. (Remember these were children aged 11 or under). She recalled one occasion when she put her (dip-in) pen down but missed the recess at the top of the sloping desk, and it rolled right down the page of her exercise book, leaving a series of blots as the back of the nib rolled over the paper at each revolution.

• Upvote 1

On the 1899 map it is marked as sun sch, so you were correct, on the same map Queens walk cricket ground is marked as Meadows cricket ground, I wonder why the name change, and the police station is a police lodge although the building seems to be the same