Anne Williams (barmaid) Anne Williams, who has died aged 62, played a leading part in the campaign to expose the extent of the official cover-up into the Hillsborough disaster of 1989, and in particular the conduct of the police before and during the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest, when 96 Liverpool football supporters died.

In his official report into the disaster, Lord Justice Taylor identified the principal cause as South Yorkshire police’s mismanagement of the crowd, although the force itself had blamed drunken Liverpool fans. It later emerged that shortly after the disaster, police top brass had instructed junior officers to rewrite their statements about what had happened. Despite Taylor’s finding, the Hillsborough families believed that South Yorkshire police had high-level government support.

Anne Williams began a solo campaign to establish what had really happened to her son. Her appeals for the truth gradually became more and more strident, but she found herself repeatedly brushed aside by officials and the judiciary. However, despite no legal training, and lacking formal organisational support of any kind, she refused to give up.

Last Monday she defied medical advice to attend a memorial service at Anfield to mark the 24th anniversary of the disaster.

RIP A TRUE BRITISH BULLDOG

• Upvote 1

It was a truly harrowing experience....I should know, I was there. I went with a few Forest mates and stood in the Kop watching it all unfold. Some Forest fans started chanting at the Liverpool supporters as they thought, as with the rest of us, they were trying to cause trouble. It was a few minutes until we realised that something terrible was occuring. It hit us when we saw the first bodies were brought to the middle of the pitch on advertising boards.

The thing that angered me for years after, even up to today, was the fact that there was no communication for ages after the tragedy first unfolded. For there to be a gross miscarraige of justice to happen after, made me feel ashamed of our police, sorry, the South Yorkshire police, let's get it right. I still don't trust them to this day and I'm a law abiding citizen.

God bless Anne Williams.