Co-Op Department Store

I Remember the wonderful sweeping staircase with the Black "Vitrolite" glass walls, and the Restaurant with the fountain on the top floor, which had a sort of mezzanine level obove, what happened to it? (apologies if this has been discussed before, I'm a newbie) and now live in Australia since 1974

:biggrin: Welcome Sheridan - like your retro hat, George Raft inspired?

The above has been discussed before but you have added to by reminding me of: 'the Restaurant with the fountain on the top floor'.

Keep writing............

• 1 year later...

40faeca8-1ea8-432b-94d1-5b71ec90d425_zps

Mention of the lovely staircase in the Co-op building, reminds me of the following, which might have some relevance.

The landlord of the house we first lived in after we were married, on Hall Street, Sherwood,

was a man named Wainman. Years earlier he had kept the grocery store and beer-off on the corner of Hall Street and Mansfield Road. It is now a betting shop. Wainman's father was a master wood carver and his work could be seen all over the shop's frontage. It is mostly covered now and painted blue.

I was once told that old Mr Wainman was the designer of the Co-op stairs, but have often wondered if they were the stairs there now, or if there were wooden ones there before them.

I have a superb example of Mr Wainman's carving skill - the sign that once hung in his son's beer-off.

• Upvote 1

There was a little co-op furniture shop in Netherfield I believe it was near the newspaper shop opposite clark's corner. must have been about

1960ish we brought a rocking chair from there, and still have it today.

Quite right mick2me and round into dennis street I believe was the co-op garage. my cousin worked there who later died in a river trent accident

I remember the 26 bus terminated at dennis street in those days.