Hello from Carlton

Having registered a week or so ago, I have been looking around the site at the various topics & comments from what appear to be intelligent people. I look forward to trading words with you.

Hi Mick2me,

You ask about the clubs. When I first hit the Big City thre were no Clubs, we had something much better, Dance Halls, Everyone was on Display , you could see across the room, everyone was there to dance & with few exceptions everyone would take to the floor with you. It would seem strange today to see a young fellow walk up to a girl & mutter the word 'Creep' followed by them both setting off in an anti-clockwise circle both smiling but not talking for at least half a revolution. When the music stopped they would either walk off the foor, stay for the next dance or retire to the bar. It was that simple. No Hassle, No Hey Shes Mine. What lovely memories More about the Dance Halls My first one was the Victoria Ballroom on Monday & Friday Nights. These were teen nights 2/6d each or 2/6d per pair with a ticket on Monday Nights. The 'Tickets' were handed out as you left on Friday nights to coax you back on Monday,

On one of these nights, I forget which, every month was a talent contest, three of four singers accompanied by the resident Al Washbook orchestra. One of these singers was a guy called Alan, He pops back into my memory bank some years later as the resident compare at the Heart of the Midlands, a venue I have seen mentioned elsewhere on this site & I an sure some members will remember his surname. What was his name? Anyway my other main venue in the early 50's was the Astoria Ballroom (The Barn). Every Thursday Friday & Saturday a Big Band played there, Ted Heath, Ken Mac, Joe Loss Jonny D all of them were there Thusday was Cheap night Friday & Saturday the Popular Nights. Another good venue was the Queens Hall where the sprung floor moved up & down a good 8 inches (200mm for the younger readers) when such as Kenny Ball & the Saints Jazz Bands were playing on a Saturday Night. I hope this type of info is of some interest, if not tell me to shut it. I tell you later about the clubs and other things that may be of interest.

• Upvote 3

welcome bazalways im the one who carnt spell but still quite clever and blessed with a good memory alans sirname was roper he kept up the tradition of giving out free tickets if you went to the hart of the midland friday or saturday you were given free tickets for the next wednessday night and if you liked the artist you often brought tickets for the weekend if it had not already sold out.