Gennel or Gunnel. Lobby or under stairs, Larder or pantry?.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

#1 - Larder wasn't too posh for the Russians to drive round in though !

Quilt & duvet - two different things.

Water Closet

Can't find any reference to "stove" being a brand name.

The brand of cooking appliance is Stoves.

I'd say a cooker comprises an oven, a hob and often a grill. A stove seems to be another word for a cooker.

Lavatory originally came from the Latin lavatorium; "the room for washing" (the French also inherited this). Those Romans also gave us conservatory, dormitory, laboratory, observatory, refectory, atrium, fenestra, auditorium, vomitorium, crematorium and many other building related words. Apart from that, I'm not sure what else the Romans ever did for us.

Of course the French have toilette and "eau de toilette" - I never really got that connection.

At the top of our cellar steps were a few shelves where we stored tinned food. We called it the "cellar head".

The "coal hole" was of course a small trap door where the coal was tipped from outside into the cellar.

And while we are on buildings, UK ground floor, USA first floor, France rez de chaussee.

More product placement - Mam called the scouring powder Ajax, whereas Dad always said Vim.