To those interested in the history of Nottingham...particularly the 20s 30s and 40s This site can give you a real eye opener to what it was like in those days...there are hundreds of aerial photos of Nottingham taken from those days.Not the whole area,and some of the same sites from different angles...but the collection is being added to all the time.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/asearch?search=nottingham

I strongly recommend you log in on the site then you can use the zoom facilities.Many of the pictures are hazy from weather conditions,but some are remarkably detailed for the year they were taken.I've even seen one that was so clear you could make out a woman hanging out her washing.

Once signed in put in Nottingham in the search box...double click on a picture you're interested in and it will enlarge.If you're not too sure of what you are looking at with the huge changes over the years....scroll down from the picture and you will see dates and details...on the bottom right it says NGR click on that and it will show you the modern map of the picture you have selected.

Back to the picture..... by using the + or - you can zoom right in to the picture,using your cursor to move the picture around.

Here's a picture I've zoomed in of the area in 1931 around the Aspley area.

2zud.jpg

A....site of the Aspley Cinema/Commodore

B....The newly built Ellis secondary School

C....Melbourne Road

D....Route of the original Bar Lane

E....The new Bar Lane

I hope this is of use to some on here.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for putting this link up Poohbear, the short time I've spent looking at the pics has been fascinating. I've found my Great Grandparents house on May Avenue in Wollaton ...... The photo was taken in 1934 and they had moved from Park Road Lenton into the new property in 1930. The house transferred to my Granny and her sister when their parents passed away and it remained in the family until 1986. It was a wonderful location and Great-Grandad built a stile at the end of the garden so they/we all could get over onto what was to eventually become Wollaton Cricket field. Such happy memories.

My granny lived at number 16, the first one on the right that had access onto to cricket field. I don't know names of any of her neighbours except Doug Hewitt who lived in the very bottom right hand corner, he was my uncle's brother.