• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This site can sometimes be a bit snooty education is a good thing but if you have it /it dosent make you perfect and it seems to me that some people only have input when they feel superior bearing in

Paul. I'm convinced. It's just that I've seen so many false research posts by market researchers over the years. They rarely answer any question that is set to them whereas you have answered them all

Do you not think it's rather rude to discuss Paul in the 3rd person and impugn his work and motives in this way? What exactly qualifies you to judge his methodology and the the aims of his research? H

#25 Bilboro-lad

Well so what?

I'm sure the research is important to Paul. It is a harmless survey. It asks for no personal details as such as the they are optional.

Identities cannot be obtained through this site, so you cannot be spammed personally and besides which the administrators are here to decide if someone is genuine or not.

If every newbie was subjected to such haranguing we would soon lose new members, not what this forum is about!

• Upvote 1
He's researching something but I don't think we know what it is. The sample size in a single forum is way too small for genuine research.
Not only that, the research is completely flawed. If he trawls search engines for Arnold Town (as he says he has), most of those results will be about the football team, not the suburb/town/village/area etc. And he's still to explain why he needs the postcode.
"to assist comprehensiveness of local web searches (so if a user searches for a service within an named area - all services are returned even if the proprietor didn't specify the named area within their address information)"
He's probably working for Google or such like.

Do you not think it's rather rude to discuss Paul in the 3rd person and impugn his work and motives in this way? What exactly qualifies you to judge his methodology and the the aims of his research? Having a daughter at Uni? Well that makes me qualified to comment on astro-physics because I know a rocket scientist (genuinely, he lives in Blenau Ffestiniog now he's retired) doesn't it. The link posted above proves that he is genuinely involved in research at Nottingham Uni ( despite your immediate assumption that it was a lie) and his credentials suggest he has more insight into how to perform this research than you do. Welcome to Nottstalgia Paul, try and ignore the less than cordial welcome from some.

• Upvote 2

You guys know far more about computers than i do all i was suggesting was any information we gave was not being abused seems Mick was on the case i was unaware of that Paul it seems you are genuine so i appolagise to you and good look with your research. regards andy c

I don't think it's rude, no. If his research is genuine then maybe he can explain the methodology instead of treating everyone like sheep doing his research for him but not knowing what it is that he hopes to achieve.

Next time we have a rocket science thread I'll be interested to hear your comments.

Do you know what his research is for? Did you fill in the questionnaire? Did you give him your postcode? Let us know if you win the £50 won't you?

The fact that Paul has Chosen Nottstalgia Members to help with his project is a tribute to most of its members.

Regarding its objective you tell me what a better site there is?

All members have an interest in Nottingham and its history, and we have a pool of hundreds of years of knowledge.

Regarding Nottingham, I consider it a city, but we refer to Gooin daahn Taahn. Meaning the Town as in shopping Centre.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it's rude, no. If his research is genuine then maybe he can explain the methodology instead of treating everyone like sheep doing his research for him but not knowing what it is that he hopes to achieve.

Next time we have a rocket science thread I'll be interested to hear your comments.

Do you know what his research is for? Did you fill in the questionnaire? Did you give him your postcode? Let us know if you win the £50 won't you?

If you were even slightly acquainted with the principles of such research you'd know that the last thing you should do is explain the methodology behind it before people have completed the questionnaire as it can influence the responses. Paul has repeatedly suggested that anyone wanting more information was free to email him. Have you bothered to ask him by email what you want to know or are you just happier sitting in a corner criticising the world? Your continued use of phrases such as 'If his research is genuine' are offensive. You must have been betrayed at every turn in your life to be this suspicious. Yes I put my email address in and yes I put my postcode in. I've personally know many PhD students who have used similar online surveys, it's a really common method of obtaining a large number of responses for minimal effort. If this seems odd to you, ask your daughter. That's if she really is at University as you pretend. See how offensive throwing doubt at people's veracity is?

• Upvote 1

Personally I was not interested in the £50 and didn't give postcode or email address when I filled in the survey, which Paul has already said is about how people perceive towns and villages. I daresay the age thing is because what we might call a town (at our age) a younger person may think of it as a village!! He is not trying to sell anything or get your bank details, not even your name.

Are you sure you are not arguing for arguings sake, Bilboro-lad, because just recently that is how most of your posts are coming over to me.

Paul, good luck with your survey, please do not let one Doubting Thomas put you off our forum.

I Couldn't care less what you think, to be honest. I afford you an opinion that differs from my own, why don't you do likewise?

I've seen way too many of these online surveys to believe they are all genuine. To start with the sample size is too small.

If he's genuine I'm sure he'll come back and explain everything.

I Couldn't care less what you think, to be honest. I afford you an opinion that differs from my own, why don't you do likewise?

I've seen way too many of these online surveys to believe they are all genuine. To start with the sample size is too small.

If he's genuine I'm sure he'll come back and explain everything.

I'll tell you why. Because you're being rude to a newcomer and I think that should be called out. You can doubt whatever you want but IMO you should keep it to yourself. There's no need, or, again IMO, a place, for your behaviour. It's rude, unpleasant and unnecessary.

• Upvote 1

Some posts in this thread are clearly offensive towards other members, and are placed on a guests topic?

As stated elsewhere, express your opinion in a friendly manner, or expect your posts to be edited or removed and the possibility of all your posts being moderated before being visible.

• Upvote 1

Some people are gullable to soft storries liking to think everyones genuine i think ti is true to say mentioning phd to some people relaxes them whilst someone with a different tag might be questioned the truth is without question paul could have been anyone and i am sure paul as an educated young man would question before he gave information so am sure would not be offended.

Why not just let Paul come back and explain what his research is about? I won't take much convincing if he is genuine. I don't see why those like DJB are jumping about. It isn't a thread about DJB's research.

There's enough of an explanation on his website as posted above #24. Maybe you could look at that and explain what more you think you need to know and why you still think it's some sort of scam. Of course it could all just be an elaborate ruse to tie a few people's email addresses and ages to their postcodes. A lot of work inventing a whole, easily verified, persona just to get that I'd say. His credentials do suggest he has a slight inkling of what he's after and how to do online research.

"Paul has over seven years experience of working with Geographic Information (GI) within academia. During this time he worked on over forty projects covering a diverse range of topics but centred on the quantitative use of spatial information. Clients include CLG, Defra, Home Office, ESRC, NHS Trent, Homes and Communities Agency, Natural England, Gangmasters Licensing Authority, English Heritage, Housing Corporation, Parliamentary Commission for New Zealand, Scottish Government, and Local Government Association.

His academic background comprises of a BA (hons) in Geography (University of Sheffield) and a MSc in Geographic Information Science (University of Nottingham). He has published numerous academic journals and acquired considerable teaching experience pertaining to information and communication skills and the use of GIS."

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~psxpb2/phd.html

As stated before, once this has been explained to you there is no point in you taking part in the survey, even I as a non academic can see this.

I have earlier asked for update on results of the survey.

1375413631789.jpg

Good morning all. I apologise for any trouble that this survey request has created. It was clearly not meant to do so.

My research does not use the survey for the main basis/data of research – that has already been undertaken. The purpose of the survey (as it states at the end) is to validate and check the other methods of obtaining settlement classification that I have used. Thus, sample sizes can be much smaller. I hope this eases the concerns that have been raised.

Bilboro-lad is right that we should be careful about personal information but I can assure everyone that I also take a very stringent view regarding this and has to comply with the ethics procedures of the University. As already mentioned - both the postcode and email address are optional. Also, postcodes do not relate to individuals as they will include on average 12-15 households (and in many cases many more).

Please be reassured that both the survey and research is genuine and as pointed out I don’t want to elaborate more on the method and research as it may bias responses. That said – I will happily discuss it off the forum – please email me at my genuine University of Nottingham email – psxpb2@nottingham.ac.uk

This site can sometimes be a bit snooty education is a good thing but if you have it /it dosent make you perfect and it seems to me that some people only have input when they feel superior bearing in mind a lot of peoples humble background on this site and the way their parents would have conducted themselves would probably have come across loud and self opinionated but to me most were the salt of the earth and although we dont set out to purposely offend we sometimes do but we also are offended for example when you are questioning a stranger people should not question your childrens achievments in a tit for tat manner educated people should rise above it and if you know a better way show us i know i am questioning and certain members will attack me verbally because i am .Admin should also consider why and not take sides because someone offends in a nice way everyone of us would be wary when a stranger asks usfor information once we have eased our minds that that perso means us no harm then we relax and become ourselves which is probably why there is occational clashes of personality incidently i know some people will say he needs to look at himself and i have done that over the last few days andi think that this site has helped me do that i am trying to look at what we have in common not what seperates us

• Upvote 4

You've put your "finger" on it there mate.

Are you taking the wee wee sir.