Leicester Street

Hi,

I'm just drifting into one of my reminiscing moments again,(a pastime I seem to spend more time on these days) and I keep going back to a long walk up St Anns Well Road, to Leicester Street on one of many visits to an Aunt's house. No matter how I try, I can't remember the location as to how far up St Anns Well road it was. All I remember from around 1961/2 is that they lived in a house with a shop front window so far up on the right side. My uncle either used to make or repair Jewellery. I am not having any luck finding an old map or any old pictures of the area before it was demolished. I have tried "Picture The Past" but if there are any pictures of Leicester Street, I can't find them. Any help to put pictures to my memories would be appreciated. Thankyou.

Thank you so much Cliff Ton,

This is the first reference I have seen to Leicester St any where, we used to do the round trip visiting family at Vicarage St (Grandparents) and three Aunts, one living on Alfred St North, one whose house fronted on Robin Hood Chase and then on to Leicester St. I will enjoy looking at the map in detail, with a cuppa tea of course. I'm always interested, if you ever find any more bits of info.

thumbsup

• Like 1

Sorry to jump on a thread with something different but as we are talking St Ann's............

Thinking thoughts from years back when my Mother was reminiscing about St Ann's, she used to talk of a shopkeeper by the name of Carlisle, probably Jack Carlisle. We lived on Ford St. St. Mary's and left in July 1959. Carlisles shop must have been in the vicinity of Ford St/Turner Street/Swanwick Street/Plantagenet Street. Maybe as far down as Pym Street but I don't think so.

Any memories anyone?

my grama clements lived west minster terrace just of westninster st my aunt lived on hungerhill rd almost on the corner of lotus st little seer off on corner she lived next to it and my other aunty lived just round the corner on broard oak st no 3 i think just off st anns valley but i carnt remember a church on norland rd corner and i used to spend quite a bit of time arond that area anybody remember it and what church it was

• Like 1

Hi CliffTon,

I am in the process of studying the above maps. I must say I am really enjoying seeing the places of interest to me. Though I walked the route I spoke of in my initial post many times over in my younger life in Nottingham. I had no Idea how the area looked from a "Road Map View". I am having a few surprises at the locations and it is all quite memory jerking. Just out of interest, on the second part of the map I noticed (With two pairs of glasses on, as the print is a bit small) at the junction of Hungerhill Road and I think, Corporation Road, about halfway down the 1st and 3rd quarter of the second part of the map, there appears to be the words "Reading Room", any ideas as to whether it is a Library? Just Curious.

I think reading rooms were quite common years ago. I'm not sure if I can remember what they were about but I think it had something to do with the fact that many working class people couldn't read or write and there were people in reading rooms to help them to read newspapers etc.

CliffTon,

Thank you for suggesting Picture The Past. When I type Reading in the box that says Enter Keyword(s) and Nottingham in the Town or Village box, all I get on screen are pictures of different buildings. Nothing to say they are "Reading Rooms". Does it sound as if I am going about it correctly?

• 8 years later...
On 3/10/2014 at 6:41 PM, carni said:

Hi,

I'm just drifting into one of my reminiscing moments again,(a pastime I seem to spend more time on these days) and I keep going back to a long walk up St Anns Well Road, to Leicester Street on one of many visits to an Aunt's house. No matter how I try, I can't remember the location as to how far up St Anns Well road it was. All I remember from around 1961/2 is that they lived in a house with a shop front window so far up on the right side. My uncle either used to make or repair Jewellery. I am not having any luck finding an old map or any old pictures of the area before it was demolished. I have tried "Picture The Past" but if there are any pictures of Leicester Street, I can't find them. Any help to put pictures to my memories would be appreciated. Thankyou.

Hi Carni i used to live in rushworth avenue just off leicester street. 

I lived on leicester street in the 60,s , does any one remember a mr martin grocery shop ?  i remember getting a couple of loose cigarettes he'd put in a bag , they were for me dad of course , he wore glasses , and reminded me of mr  potter , in the fenn street gang films with derek guyler and john alderton 

Many thanks Cliff a couple of picture of me and one of my sister Helen sheridan, also i found one of my brother Kevin's school photos , learned alot on here ,so pleased to go down memory lane !