It was a great place to play as a kid. We used to watch the trolley buses in the fog (we don't get 'pea soupers' today, and walk over to watch Goose Fair being assembled. BTW my daughter is at Nottingham Uni as a post grad.

I can imagine! I still love Goosefair now but it has gone downhill in the past couple of years, can only imagine what a site it was years ago! If your daughter is at the Clifton campus I may have seen her! I graduate this year, scary times!

She's a psychology post grad and seems to move around a lot. She's based at the building opposite the QMC - she even has an office with three other PhD students. She's doing her Masters this year, and then straight on to PhD next year for three years. Fully funded too - £15k per year they PAY her.

• Upvote 1

It was advertised on the Nottingham Uni website and she applied for it. They liked her, she had a first from Lincoln, volunteered in Cambodia for a year, was student and faculty rep as an undergrad for three years. Hundreds applied and just three places up for grabs. She doesn't know why they chose her either.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

It's along time since I have had some time to browse through the forum but have just spent a while gradually getting used to the new format. I'm getting there and am sure that in a few weeks it will be as familiar to me as the old one. As good as a comfortable pair of slippers! A couple of years have passed by since I posted "First Ever Trip Alone" but a few months ago I decided to pick up the thread with the story line and move it forwards, so watch this space. If you ever travelled from Nottingham to Grantham yourself, maybe just to watch the trains go by you may be interested in a new website that I have just launched. It's called "Tracks Through Grantham" http://www.tracksthroughgrantham.uk/ 

By the way, if you have any memories of your trips from Nottingham to Grantham (with or without your parents or friends!) I would love to hear from you, either by a post on this thread or PM if you prefer. There is also a provision on the Grantham website to contact me. Thanks - Smiffy49

• Upvote 4

Missed this topic..somehow. Enjoyed the recollections.

I always was restless and felt boundaries had to be pushed.

Thumbed to Bristol in '77 to see Sham 69.

But my major first 'Laurie Lee' moment would have been cycling to ilfracombe on a done up Carlton Criterion to work at a mates Dads Hotel for the summer.The A38 weren't too bad ...then!

Done the Greek islands with a rush mat ( from Nonsuch) and sandles...

Was subjected to some pestering I can tell you...( in the Roebuck).

My first run out alone I would be about 11 so 1957. Cycled from New Basford to Clifton Grove on a Saturday morning, fished all day. Pitched tent, heated up a tin of Heinz beans on one of those little meths stove ate them with a couple off doorsteps, slept over night in a blanket. Sunday morning more early fishing followed by a cycle ride home for tea.

Only years later did I find out Dad had come over late evening on his motor bike to check on me.

• Upvote 3