Well, Thank you very much for the time you are both giving to finding the elusive Mayfair House! So at least we know it did exist and wasn't just a misprint. Though it was on six letters, so I imagine that wasn't the case. I will have a drive down Swains Ave next time I visit Nottingham.

annswabey,

Your post just came through as I was typing this post. I did wonder about them being demolished. I also wondered if they could possibly have been bombed?

I've been off line for a week or so and have not read all the posts on this thread.

Swains Avenue.

From 600 Carlton Road to Watson Avenue

Numbered 1 - 55

2 - 74

Carni if you want information on any one in particular I have a Kelly's directory of the city for 1960.

Bubblewrap,

Thank you for your offer.

The people who sent the letters will have long ago moved on. Married, had families and taken different paths in life. Some of them more than likely, as with my parents, who are of the same generation as them, will not be with us any more. I am slowly putting together a picture of my Dads life (growing up and areas that were part of his life). I missed out on lots of little chats with my parents as I left home just before the grand age of nineteen. I am looking for addresses purely out of interest, as to put a picture in my mind, of what I imagine he would call "His old stomping ground" I wouldn't contact any of the people in the letters, its the areas that interest me. Most of the areas indicated in my research are from 1930/40 era's, so a lot as with Mayfair House are proving hard to discover.

Carni also have directories dated 1925, 1928, 1932, 1936 & 1941. and a few earlier ones (earliest 1844)

Trouble with these directories is they are of a differant format & tend to only list bussinesses & only a few "private" residents.

Well Bubblewrap,

Thank you very much, I will remember your offer as I go along. I believe some of my ancestors were in business in the late 1800s, mainly in Carlton and possibly Sneinton. I will be chasing them up soon, so I might come a calling for your help if that is OK. :)