Hi

Well has you have probably guessed by my user name-I am a Romany born in the U.K

(Nottinghamshire).

My mother and all of her kin were Dublin born ,my father was Derbyshire born.

I am the last born of 7 children-and has mammy would say "ye are the 7th child of a 7th child and 3 generations more".

I still live the traditional way of live -and live by the old ways.

I was lucky in that my family supported me and allowed me to follow a career(30 years in archive work-family history etc)

and although I am now retired,and I now find that the old ways are once again being enjoyed-

I still find the time to help people for free- reconnect with their family history-obviously after 30 years of researching I have built up an extensive archive of my own,of Romany families/the history of the great Romany bare knuckle fighters/circus and fairground folk/Scottish Gypsies.

Romany Rose x

• Upvote 6

Hi again, I asked the Q' re Romany descent in another thread, my family on my mothers/mothers side were of Romany descent (so I'm told) , my great grandfather being a 'Flower Hawker' of no fixed abode, lived around Ilkeston, name of John Eedy from Lincolnshire originally, his children were born in Northants, Birmingham & Nottingham, so moved around a lot...................

Romany Rose, I would love to know more about your way of life and the traditions you still follow.

For many years there was a Romany who used to call on me each time she was passing my way, in the Newark area, though I haven't seen her recently.

• Upvote 1

My great grandmother (on my dad's side) was a Romany. She was married to a miner. All I know about her is that her maiden name was Mellors