Nottingham City Centre mid 1960's

Lovely evocative video. Thanks for posting Enigma1st.

If you look carefully as the camera follows the trolleybus down Mansfield Rd you can see me and my mate with our noses pressed against the window of the secondhand shop about halfway down on the right hand side.

Just kidding of course but living on Russell Rd we used to regularly walk across the Forest and down Mansfield Rd into town. As a 15 year old in 1965 and still at school we had lots of time but no money. The shop I'm thinking of was double fronted and had all manner of stuff just chucked into the windows with no attempt to display the goods attractively. The shop itself was crammed full of interesting items like guitars and air rifles etc.

Another second hand shop that seemed to be around for years was the Bits and Bobs Emporium on Gregory Boulevard next to the Post Office.

The guy there was like old Arkwright in Open All Hours. He used to wear a brown overall just the same. He was a mean old sod. He offered me 25/- for all my Meccano when I was trying to get the money together to buy an electric guitar. Never forgotten it because it was such a derisory offer.

My mum bought me my guitar for my 14th birthday. She took me into Jack Brentnalls and I chose a cheap Japanese solid called a Freshman.

There's a picture of one here: http://guitarz.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/1960s-selmer-freshman.html

Took me 6 months to learn how to play it. I used to use a tape recorder as an amp.

Saw one on eBay about a year back. The guy was asking £500 but I don't think he sold it.

My sister took me to the Odeon to see A Hard Days Night that birthday. The following summer I went to the Gaumont to see Help. My bandmate and I went to Nequests to buy the sheet music for The Byrds Mr Tambourine Man because we couldn't work out the chords

• Upvote 2

Great video. I was watching this one and some others on my husbands pc last night. He had found them on the Nottingham Post site.