Who or what has helped to make Nottingham the city it is today?

We had and still have some excelent engineers in nottingham and the country.

you know what they used to say years ago The yanks could turn the finest piece of steel, and the british could drill a hole through it.

makes yer proud don't it?

I had not known Mick's surname before now, but it makes sense. All credit to the man. This site is a joy.

Anyway, back to Nottingham -

In no particular order -

Shipstones bitter, the finest laxative known to man.

Smiths engineering, without which many steam trains would have exploded.

Sillitoe. One of the most expressive and influential authors of his time, who didnt sell out.

Nottinghamshire County Cricket club. Throughout the decades, NCC has provided England with some of the finest cricketers ever, and still do. Come on Alex Hales!

• 1 month later...

I know some of these people have been named above so please forgive me if I mention them again , boxer William Thompson (Bendigo) founder of Salvation Army (William Booth) Barinswear made woollens for M/S Notts band had USA no1 The Night Chicago Died (Paper Lace) Lord Tenant (no not Dr Who) but Jessie Boot, Watson Fothergill designed The Black Boy Hotel, 1930 and 1940 famous channel swimmer Tom Blower, D H Lawrence, Jaeger, Borough Superior Nottingham-built motorcycle was a favourite of T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) Planners who ruined Nottingham by taking away Dury Hill The old post building and many more buildings in the name of progress.