Nottingham and Randolph Galloway

Randolph Galloway was a footballer born in Sunderland but lived all his UK adult life in the Nottingham area.I would be most grateful if anyone can help me with further information on his life in Nottingham. In 1924 Notts Forest broke their transfer record to sign him from Derby County,he left in 1927.He returned from abroad in 1936 to a off licence in Sneinton.During the war years he worked at Boneham and Turner and was Physical training instructor for the Nottingham NFS.After the war he went abroad again,he came back for one year in 1953/54 and coached the Raleigh football team. He retired from professional football in 1955 and lived inTavistock drive Mapperley until his death in 1964.I can well imagine him coaching a local team during his years in Mapperley. In 1941 he was living in Pierrepont Road. I live in Portugal so I am restricted to online research. I would love to see his death notice from a local paper as there might be info in that but bna online archives only cover up to the 1950s.

Thank You

Welcome mackem,

just googled your Dad,well impressed,sorry can't help with his Nottm.days,..........BTW its Nottingham Forest,not Notts. LOL.

• Upvote 1

Hi,thanks for the replies,sorry about the Nottingham Forest thing. Randolph is not my Father,I'm writing a book on British football managers in Portugal,Randolph being one of the most successful. I am in touch with a family member and I pass everything on.Randolph married a Nottingham girl Mabel at Basford in June 1930.In between working abroad in 1949 and 1953 he lived at 80 Ropewalk South well,I was thinking that might have been relatives of his wife. I'm coming to the UK next year and will be in Nottingham for one day at the local studies centre,but one day is not long so I would love to try and get some info before then.

Sorry mackem,............do'nt know where i got Dad from,........must have a bit of senile wotsit.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,thanks for the replies,sorry about the Nottingham Forest thing. Randolph is not my Father,I'm writing a book on British football managers in Portugal,Randolph being one of the most successful. I am in touch with a family member and I pass everything on.Randolph married a Nottingham girl Mabel at Basford in June 1930.In between working abroad in 1949 and 1953 he lived at 80 Ropewalk South well,I was thinking that might have been relatives of his wife. I'm coming to the UK next year and will be in Nottingham for one day at the local studies centre,but one day is not long so I would love to try and get some info before then.

I'm often in Southwell. I'll look at No 80 and report back.