Broadmarsh original cliff line

Hi -

Does anyone have more images of the still existing cliff line that was covered by the Broadmarsh Centre?

2_zpskq4zq30t.jpg

1_zpseihdhell.jpg

I'm undertaking a university project that involves knocking down the Broadmarsh and re-masterplanning the area. Hoping to reveal the cliff face again although it's hard to get a grasp of what's left underneath the centre!

Thanks!

If you find the existing footpath called Malin Hill, it is an ancient route which clings to the side of the cliff above Red Lion Street and the Loggerheads. Another ancient route can still be seen if you look over the wall. Long stairs has been closed off for years, probably for safety reasons.

Cliff tons contour map is the nearest you will get to the line of the ancient cliff.It's been chewed away by buildings for hundreds of years.Demolition of Broad Marsh would only show gentle slopes in the land compared to Saxon times. In those days it must have had an imposing look and been ideal for a fortified settlement,with fine views of the Trent Valley in those days.

S Barker @8. That picture you may know already is of the foot of old Short? or Long Stairs at the eastern end of Narrow Marsh under Malin Hill. The City is really missing out if we don't start capitilising on these old cave systems, some at that end of the town must have been used by the first Saxons. Who would waste time building when there was a decent cave to be had?

If I may digress slightly, can anyone remember the name of the electrical wholesalers on Cliff road ?

Tried to do a link from Google Earth but it wont link, it's about half way along and backs onto the cliff, was a white building and looks alike a private residence now maybe.

The original electrical wholesale company were down the meadows on Wilford Crescent I believe.

No mate, D George were electrical contractors, thanks anyway, this one I'm trying to remember was an electrical parts wholesaler, I used to use when I was a sparky in Nottm many years ago.

As said they used to be on Wilfrord crescent east, sort of down an ally behind a row of terraces but then moved to Cliff road, just bugging me trying to remember their trading name.

Long Stairs shown on the photograph on #8 are very old so that must be the original cliff. I read somewhere that the stairs are that way round because any invaders would have their shield in their left hand thus making it difficult to protect themselves. I don't know why Malin Hill is closed off.

By the way. The Broad Marsh Centre does not extend that far. The area in the photograph is near the rear of the Loggerheads pub.

As Bilbraborn says, the photo at #8 is of Cliff Road and is still visible today. Here's a couple of photos which show the now-hidden cliff face under the shopping centre.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM015556&pos=16&action=zoom&id=70639

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM014903&pos=19&action=zoom&id=67917