We go about shopping through the towns and places,Having been a roofer I take a look at the thousands of chimneys perched up there, sometimes a dozen to a stack. I've worked in nottingham park and believe me some of those huge brick stacks are just standing with the compo been weathered way years ago, Its just the sheer weight that keeps them there. when all these flu's were alive just imagine the smoke they billowed out.

• Upvote 1

I saw one today in Skeg 16 pots on one stack that would be some fireplaces in them days when they were houses.

• Upvote 1

I vaguely remember being taken as a very young child to see an Aunt who lived somewhere down Radford Road.

Can't remember much about the visit but do remember being fascinated by all of the chimney pots including lots of factory type chimney stacks.

It was a bit like a Lowry painting !

Does anyone know where this might have been, or were there lots of factory chimneys in and around Radford?

when yer think about it there must have been thousands of tons of coal burnt in those days.