Family tree software that will work on Windows 8.1

I am looking for some help to find a software package that will work on Windows 8.1. The program my husband bought me years ago is excellent but will not work on my new laptop that runs on Windows 8.1 or on his PC that is Windows 7. My old software will generate a GEDCOM file but this is in an old version of GEDCOM that will not load into the family tree program my husband uses on his computer. Also his program will not load onto my computer! Basically we are in a mess!

We have Ancestry membership but do not want to publish family trees online or store things "in the cloud". I may be old fashioned but I do like my data stored on a device that we own and control.

I have looked at family tree software websites brought up using Google and many of them say that Family Tree maker does not work with Windows 8.1.

Out there amongst the wealth of expertise of our online community I hope there is a member who can recommend a suitable package or give me a few clues about a way forward.

have you tried using the compatibility mode ? install the software but dont run it - goto program files and find the folder where the software is installed find the exe , right click on it and choose troubleshoot compatibility

• Upvote 1

I swear by "Brothers Keeper" and it can import (and export) gedcom files. It's regularly updated with new features and has never let me down these past 15 years or more. And it's free. You can pay if you want, which gets you a manual and support, but I've never needed it.

• 10 months later...

Last week I had a long chat to the people on the Family Historian stand at the Who do you think you are exhibition at the NEC. I explained my GEDCOM file problems and my total lack of success in solving them. The reps explained that this program should be able to load old version GEDCOM files and if I find any problems I should email the file to their help service and they will sort it out! I was impressed. The program is brilliant. It installed easily on my Windows 8.1 laptop and all my old version GEDCOM files were imported straight away with no problems. I am so pleased with this. It has saved me a lot of work and the Family Historian program displays more fields that my old program. This is an excellent relational database and it was on special offer. Made my day.

• Upvote 1