English Heritage Weekend 2015.

Don't forget very soon is the English Heritage Weekend & lots of EH places (not all) are free admission during these days. 10th - 13th September.

Me & Mrs Catfan have have some great days out in the past with EH.

We have booked a guided tour on Sunday the 13th to visit Strelley Hall, a place since childhood I have always wanted to explore, this guided tour includes parts of the hall not usually open to the public so it is something we are both looking forward to.

Don't forget there are thousands of places open for these few days & are completely free.

http://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/

Strelley Hall, along with most other places of interest, was always off-limits when I lived in Nottingham, so at least some things change for the better.

:)

• Upvote 2

#1 Catfan make sure you call in at The Mulberry Tree while you are there. It's not cheap but worth a look even if you don't eat there.It is the old stables and they have left the original features.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g186356-d7735819-i124586461-Mulberry_Tree_Cafe-Nottingham_Nottinghamshire_England.html

• Upvote 1

Too true Compo, as a lad I used to walk past there regularly & always wondered what the inside was like, always looked like "Bleak House" to me. This was fifty odd years ago when Mrs Edge ruled the village with an iron fist. When the Broad Oak Pub was not allowed to open on a Sunday.

This sort of history can't be manufactured only created over a long time.

• Upvote 1

Catfan I remember it well. I once attended a talk by Tony Horton about Strelley Hall and the village. I also bought the booklet he produced which I still have.

• Upvote 1

#4 Thanks for reminding me about Mrs Edge catfan. I remember my parents mentioning her name and saying that she lived at the hall and she was a bit of a character. I never saw the name written down so until I read your post I thought she was "Miss Hedge". Her influence did not extend down into Bilborough and my grandfather went to the Pelican for a drink so her impact on the Broad Oak did not affect him.

• Upvote 1