Battle of Britain flypast

Nice memories Carni, I bet your Dad could tell a tale or two. My old man told me only snippets, he went into the mess with some blood on his tunic,Sgt made him strip and burn the lot!! I honestly think we couldn't fight today like men and women did then.. We've gone soft!!

He was very careful about his stories, I imagine so as not to frighten us as children. After he had died (age 58 ) we found a Wellesley Tatler july 1944 among his papers. He was actually injured on ship during a battle.

To cut the story down, The ship was on the French side of the channel,looking for two EBoats, in the Tatler it states an Enemy Star shell burst lighting up the sky, and the ship had found itself in the middle of a seventeen ship enemy convoy and as dad was loading a Projy" Up the spout? they were hit on the Bridge and engine room, he was injured on the back and arm, someone else finished loading the gun. After he had been treated, they had to clear what was left of the bridge and move the dead and injured. There is a lot more to the story and I'm so glad he had kept the Wellesley Tatler all those years. We would never have known about it as dad never told us.

• Upvote 4

Watched ' one of our aircraft is missing' this evening.. truly a great film,portraying real bravery. In my kitchen I have a cluster of photos, telegrams, portraits and war DPT scroll,all for my relation William Upton; killed in 1918.I am grateful of our pasts sacrifices.

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up in Burton Joyce and had a newspaper round. I loved the weekend mornings in the summer when I would be cycling around the village delivering my batch of heavy newspapers and would often hear the pre flyover throb of the Lancaster Merlin engines. It was a joy to look up and see the 'City of Lincoln' Lancaster flying down the Trent a Valley on its way out to the daily round of weekend air shows.

However I will tell you about the greatest event I ever witnessed. In 1958/9 at the height of the cold war I saw on several occasions both squadrons of Vulcan`s scramble one after the other (617 first.) To see one vulcan take off is awe inspiring but to see the whole 2 squadrons take off IN PAIRS was the most inspiring event I had witnessed of these aircraft. The noise was thunderous. You do not realise how momentous these events are,at the time.

That must have been amazing Stan.

When I was in the air cadets at RAF Newton (1936 Squadron) one of our annual summer camps was out at RAF Waddington with a Vulcan squadron and the size of each aircraft was difficult to comprehend. This past weekend I was up at the former RAF Church Fenton base for the Yorkshire Airshow and the final flypast of the day was the Vulcan. After all the other aircraft we saw on Saturday the Vulcan was magnificent.

• 2 weeks later...