More Than One Copy

Trouble is with wit, it gets you in trouble and yes, if I saw a particularly good copy of 'Kidnapped', I may well buy it. The most copies of the same work I've bought is of 'The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam', and for me it is the nearest thing to a bible to which I refer. I find by talking in second hand book shops that buying copies of the same work is by no means unusual. Same copies I have vary in illustrations, text and even better, written notes. Always on the lookout as with any other collector.

“The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line, Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.”

― Omar Khayyám, The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám: Fitzgerald's Translation with Notes

That's the only quote I knew from his writings, but have just read some more on the web - interesting....

• Upvote 1

I was asked to read this bit of the Rubayat at a friend's funeral a few years back:

And we, that now make merry in the Room
They left, and Summer dresses in new Bloom,
Ourselves must we beneath the Couch of Earth
Descend, ourselves to make a Couch—for whom?

Ah, make the most of what we yet may spend,
Before we too into the Dust Descend;
Dust into Dust, and under Dust, to lie,
Sans Wine, sans Song, sans Singer and—sans End!

Col

• Upvote 1

Aren't they just. That was just what his family gave me to read. I also writted a yoolergy! ;)

Col

• Upvote 1