Free access on Ancestry this weekend so I thought I would have a look for some relevant military records. My G Grandfather William Jeyes Cumberpatch is the culprit I am looking for first. No luck. There are William Cumberpatches but not this one. His occupation before and after WW1 was as a Railway Platelayer. I am just wondering if the reason he doesn't appear to have a military record is because a platelayer would have been a reserved occupation. Any ideas?

I am also looking for my Grandfathers, 1. Edward Harvey Royal Engineers, and 2. George Arthur Cropley, who I have always believed was Royal Horse Artillery, but I can only find who I think is him as Royal Garrison Artillery. Are the two one and the same? RGA is a new one on me.

Information in the military records is not much but then I am not sure what records survive or what records there were actually kept. I was hoping to find out where they served.

LOTS of WW1 Service records were destroyed in WW2 so it's very possible that his records haven't survived, assuming he served. Should be medal records for him, though, provided that he served overseas. Difficult, though, to establish which is the right man as Medal cards don't have personal info, apart from a very small number which have addresses

RHA and RGA aren't the same, but both are elements of Royal Artillery. Medal Rolls, which are on Ancestry, give Battalions or Units, (but not usually for RA) which would enable you to find out, via War Diaries, what they were involved in

Thanks. I will look further. A lot of the records I have looked at are stated as having been on fire and are obviously burned away around the edges.

Reserved occupation was a bit elastic in WW1.

My grandfather was a farmer, but he had to go in the army, they said the reason was he spoke perfect German, and they needed translators, but in exchange the army sent 4 German pow's, so his wife could run the farm with them.

• Upvote 1