Sherwood Foresters in Dublin 1916

Although aware of the involvement of the Regiment in Flanders in WW 1, I knew little about them during the Easter Rising and the tragedy of the slaughter inflicted upon them by just 17 Irish rebels, another incident of lions being led by donkeys. The Story is told in an article to be found at theirishwar.com/1916-rising-dublin-sherwood-foresters (sorry, don't know how to post links).

One of my Grandads was there..........he never told me,i read it amongst his papers that i inherited............

My great Uncle Len was also part of the force and came out unscathed but later invalided out from Flanders in 1917, unlike my Grandfather and his brother who didn't come home. As with many veterans, my great Uncle said very little about his experiences.

• Upvote 1

The story was buried to a certain degree at the time. Not the Forester's finest hour. A pivotal moment in Irish history.

Shortly followed by the 'Black n' Tans'

The Leicester regiment (5th Battalion mainly) were in Dublin Easter 1916. A significant proportion of the battalion was recruited in Nottingham. Maybe almost a quarter of that battalion although it is not certain how many Nottingham lads were sent to Leicester for enlistment.