Information on GGG Granddad

Hi, I recently found your Forum and wondered if anyone could help me find some information about my GGG Granddad.

His name is William Cooke and was married in 1822 to Elizabeth Clifton at St.Leodegarious Church Old Basford.

The only information on his marriage certificate is the name of the vicar and his 2 witnesses. I know that he was a lace maker and had 2 sons with Elizabeth. It is possible that he had been married before.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Dalafizz and welcome to the forum.

Does the marriage certificate not show their ages? You'd need that to have a chance of finding his birth. Be aware though that they weren't always truthful (or sometimes didn't actually know). As you might know, life events (Christenings, marriages and deaths) prior to 1837 were recorded in parish registers (for 1837 onwards births, marriages and deaths were recorded by the government through Registry Offices). 1822 also predates any useful Census records (usefulness commencing in 1841). I see you're not in the UK (therefore can't visit records offices readily). Have you tried the IGI Family Search website? It's a collection of parish register data though you'd need to second-source anything you find if you want to rely on it. Failing that, you'd need to consider the big (paid-for) sites such as Ancestry or Find My Past. There may be those on here who have local parish data on CD so I'd say watch this space.

There is a William Cook * on the 1851 living Basford, who is a lace maker with a wife called Elizabeth . Two sons called John and Thomas plus 2 daughters ...........BUT he was born 1808 so a bit young to be marrying in 1822 !

I think this is the same William Cooke that news reports said had gone to "Camera" in France in the 1850s

presumably to work in their lace industry .

*In 1861 Census transcribed as "Cookes"

Would like to say thanks for the information and suggestions. I am subscribed to Ancestry and have tried Find my Past but have struggled to find anything definite.

I've discovered that a lot of my relatives in the 1800's were from Nottinghamshire, hence the reason for trying this Forum.

Will keep searching!

Sorry that I didn't answer directly to the questions by Annswabey but having mentioned
that I am subscribed to Ancestry I thought that maybe, you would have had an idea that I've been down that road.

As Elizabeth was 47 when they were married I imagine that William was probably of a similar age. As I can't find him in any census it's possible that he died before 1841. There are several William Cookes who died in the late 1830's in the area but it's not possible to decide if any of them is the one I'm looking for. Also if he is of similar age that's the reason I think that he may have been married before.

NS or GR from Ian Dawson, what's that all about?