Clifton Boulevard 1937

My Dad lived in the area when he was a boy in 1920s/30s and used to play football with his pals around there where QMC is built.  The only detail I remember is that it was very sandy ground.  

Well I guess so CliffTon, but I have always assumed it was a big area of wasteland.  At the time he lived on Toston Drive on the new Crane Estate (think it was called that?), the white bungalows down Middleton Boulevard.  

I think there was a lot of wasteground in amongst the factories and houses and pubs and canals.

10 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

At the time he lived on Toston Drive on the new Crane Estate (think it was called that?), the white bungalows down Middleton Boulevard.  

I always knew that as the Sutton Passeys Crescent area; never realised it was known as the Crane Estate..........but Lenton Times obviously did.  http://www.lentontimes.co.uk/back_issues/issue_1/issue_01_10.htm

• Upvote 2

Yes Cliff, although I can't imagine where the name Crane originated from. William Crane maybe? 

I had an aunt and uncle that lived on Sutton Passeys Crescent from the late 40's until the 60's. It was amazing how spacious those bungalows were inside. Very deceptive. 

#6. Thanks CliffTon for sniffing that article out.  All I know is that they lived in a rented house there and that it was VERY cold!  A few years ago I drove my Dad down there to have a look and at the time one of the bungalows was being completely refurbished, even the roof had been removed, exposing the steel frame.  It does look a very pleasant area to have grown up in, considering the slums that were around Nottingham at the time, all the roads converging onto a pretty roundabout, where stood a little newsagents shop where Dad was a paperboy.  

• Upvote 1