Nottinghamshire native, who?

Who was Ellis de Thoresby?

Hint: Late 1300's

I have no idea what a gee gee is, but I don't think so.

Hint: He had close association with a knight who had close association with Geoffrey Chaucer. He would not be significant enough to mention, had he not made a bold move against a royal.

I have a feeling this will be a really tough one if you haven't read a particular book about someone involved with royalty...

Sorry it's a horse Cali!! I will keep looking...............

I tried googling his name just to see how easy it would be, and it's not!! If you don't know A LOT of English history, or haven't read this book, you won't get it. Again, he was quite insignificant in history if it weren't for one very bold move that was not widely known.

Hint: It involves John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster

Looks like Sal is on to it. I tried Googling it too,not easy.

!tony!

I have a feeling this one is WAY too hard. Let's change it a bit...

He was a squire that dared attack John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster. He did this while mourning the death of the knight he was in service to, to honor his master when John tried to run off with his masters wife 4 days after the knights death...

Who was the knight?

Was the knight Sir Ralph Shelton?

He was living in 1385. Sir Ralph was with John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, on

his great expedition into Spain, and was at the famous battle of Nazarett.

He was 15th Lord of Shelton Manor.

:) Sal

!tony!

Hint: The knight was from Lincolnshire and was of the Duke's own retinue. He was with the Duke in Bordeaux where he died very suddenly...

Another hint: His son grew up to be the Constable of Pontefract...

Have you all given up on this one, or are you digging through your history books?! ;)

Sir Rober Waterton's name came to me with a bit of research am I getting warmer?

!tony!

Hint: His wife's tomb is in Lincoln Cathedral, while his is in the little church in the village where he had his estate.

Another hint: John of Gaunt was their first child's godfather.

:Vampire: I think you have completely lost us Cali is it Captain Cooke ? !secret!

After many mugs of coffee and bottles of Lucozade with the odd green tablet thrown in for good measure i have come up with two names both from the same family infact father and son, if i'm wrong i'm going to the nearest tower and climbing to the top, i'm going to throw myself of in an effort to to make it clear to who that these words were never spoken!

William de la pole or John de la Pole?????????? !sickly! ?

!tony!

I don't think William de la Pole was a knight was he?? Alright, before everyone's heads burst I'll give you one last sure fire hint...

Hint: Katherine

Alright, I can see I've lost you all on this one. The knight was Sir Hugh Swynford. He was the brother-in-law of Geoffrey Chaucer (his wife's sister's husband). He and his wife Katherine Swynford had 2 children, Blanchette (whom John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster named himself Godfather of), and Thomas Swynford who became Constable of Pontefract. It is thought by some that Thomas was responsible for the death of King Richard who was imprisoned there. Hugh died in 1371 in Bordeaux while in service to the Duke. The Duke was in love with Hugh's wife Katherine , and saw this the opportune moment to move in on her (just weeks before he married Costanza of Castile). This was when Ellis de Thoresby in a drunken stupor tried to stop the Duke from running off with Katherine by attacking him. He was no match for the Duke. Katherine became John of Gaunt's mistress and bore 4 children with the duke while he was married to Costanza. After Costanza's death, the Duke many years later finally married Katherine, legitemizing their 4 children. The Duke died 3 years later.

Anyone interested should read the book "Katherine", by Anya Seton. (It was written some time in the 1950's) Great book, I've read it twice! smile2