Cary's - Carry,s or even Carries

There is a possibility that my Grandfather worked for a short time at Cary's (spelt?) Bulwell in the early 1900's.

I lived at Bulwell for a few years way back and it does sound familiar. Can anyone enlighten me as to where and what they did.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Carey and Sons were lace manufacturers in Bulwell . At some point in the early 1900s they either moved or set up a factory in Southwell .

Robert Frederick Carey was the owner , he died in 1913.

Can't find a Bulwell address at the moment but they also had factories in Broad Street and Stoney Street at various times .

• Upvote 2

If you look at the old Salvation Army citadel on Main Street Bulwell there is a stone set in the wall by Coun Carey.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.0028423,-1.1959866,3a,75y,81.24h,90.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sga4XO2cXq5Jqjm7IjHjm8A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Just about make the carving out here.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.0028423,-1.1959866,3a,15y,94.48h,88.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sga4XO2cXq5Jqjm7IjHjm8A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

A bit of Carey family history here perhaps ?

HENRIETTA CAREY who died on July 28th, 1920, was the grand-daughter of Alderman George Carey, who before the building of Wesley Chapel in Broad Street, Nottingham, lived in the mansion in Heathcote Street (then Beck Lane) and the site of the huge chapel was the "vista" to the house. One of his daughters Sophia, married Philip James Bailey, the author of "Festus." The eldest son of the Alderman was HENRY CAREY, who died in 1894 and who was one of the builders of the chapel referred to, and for a long generation was one of its main pillars, he having two classes of young men to whose welfare he devoted much time. General Booth was a member of his class. Henry Carey had two sons and five daughters. One of the former, William Henry Carey, was Sheriff of Nottingham in 1907 and his wife has long been actively connected with the Young Women's Christian Association. All the daughters of Henry Carey entered heartily into social work, but Henrietta Carey excelled. For nearly half a century she was fully occupied in social and religious work, not by fits and starts, but with the regularity of the clock, yet without its limitations, for method was life to her, and her name might well have been Duty. Her work was largely connected with two Societies, namely, "The Nottingham Town and County Social Guild," and the "Nottingham and Notts. Convalescent Homes," with both of which she continued to work until her death. In 1875-6 the former Society was founded by her sisters and herself, with Mrs. Bowman-Hart and others. Its object was the social betterment of the people, and much of the work undertaken in its earlier years has since been incorporated in the ordinary operations of the Corporation, the Board of Guardians, and other bodies. Charity Organization, Convalescent Homes, a Provident Society, a Wood-carving Class, a blanket loan association, rent collecting of cottage houses, a sanitary association joining an interest in the domestic and social welfare of the tenants, one branch of the work being the arranging of competitions for the cleanest homes, the prettiest window flower boxes, etc., by means of which many workmen's dwellings were transformed. Of the Convalescent Homes at Castle Donnington and at or near Skegness she was the controller for many years, and worked incessantly in connection with them.

"Life's race well run,
Life's work well done,
Life's crown well won,
Now cometh rest."

• Upvote 2

Thanks all. I'm trying to piece together the early parts of my grandfathers life. He was born in 1888 and presumably left school in the early 1900's. I know for certain he started work at Newman Smith and Newman, Hounds Gate on the 21st March 1913 but where he worked prior to this is unknown. He mentions in a letter to his wife' that girl who worked at Carey's, so it is possible that he may have worked there.

Thanks for the info.

• Upvote 1