Here are a couple of bikes for those enthusiasts on this site.  The top one is a four seater and the lower is an Grubb recumbent bike from 1938.

38936379625_691ceb06de_b.jpg

Gears and what looks like a hub dynamo  from the recumbent:

25962146988_cb9b5e9b82_b.jpg

• Like 1

A few more for you

coventry_019.jpg

Early carbon fibre frame

Draycote_11_(2).jpg

Front wheel drive low racer

P1050687.jpg

Front wheel drive high racer

Sky_ride_015.jpg

Fancy cruiser,note the seat

2010_07242010Heckington0014.jpg

Five seater

Scotland_11_037.jpg

Early recumbent,note the front forks

Rog

• Like 4
On 25/01/2018 at 11:16 AM, Compo said:

Gears and what looks like a hub dynamo  from the recumbent:

Not a hub dynamo Compo, a  Sturmey Archer drum brake,you can see the brake cable running along the rear stay

Rog

• Like 1

Turn of the (last)century Ian,did you notice the front forks?they may look to be fitted the wrong way but apparently that way they give better balance,

BTW,any chance of scanning and posting some of those pictures you shown me of the Penney Farthing races at Harvey Haddon in the early sixties? just love penney farthings

Rog

• Like 1

Rog: thanks for the correction re- hub brake. Now that I look more closely, I can see the cable.  I was blind to it before since I was looking for electric wires: Just guztershow....shouldn't decide what a thing is and then look for evidence to prove it.

My old mountain bike has been making some terrible cracking sounds of late.  Taking the rear hub axle out I noticed a missing bearing - probably broken up.  I replaced that and still it made noises.  Next up was the gear block - three missing bearings. I replaced those and the noise has abated but there is still a small amount of cracking coming from the wheel.  I suspect that the bearings in the block are all worn slightly out of shape and will need to be replaced en masse.  Fortunately, these are quite cheap and readily available on the internet these days.  My road bike also needs gear block bearings and a new chain so I might as well buy a bulk load and do both at the same time.

Might be worth checking the bottom bracket bearings at the same time as these are a common source of "creaking" sounds,don't forget to use cycle specific grease when re-assembling the bearings,(ordinary grease has acid in it which won't do the cycle bearings much good) is the gear block a screw on type (free wheel) or is it fitted on splines with a locking washer (free hub) either way you will need specific removing tools,

Rog

Bottom bracket (spindle & bearings) replaced last year, Rog. The block is the free hub type. I can rwmove the block to replace the bearings by unscrewing the screw-on retaining washer.  I use my universal remover - a centre punch and torque hammer....tappity-tap. :)