A nostalgic workshop

When I see workshops like this I get a burst of nostalgia. I was an apprentice at the NCB starting in 1967 and the workshops were all something like this. These days workshops seem to have more safety markings and spaces than machines:

29560981965_b686a19731_b.jpg

• Like 5

Ease the strain.....today's railway is a bigger strain than travelling by car. There is always a crowd of people shouting down their phones for the entire journey and seats are often unavailable due to overcrowding. That's modernisation for you though - you can't add an extra coach to a modern set to relieve the overcrowding.

29480377761_74a8550043_c.jpg

• Like 2

I have one of the black bullseye loco lamps as seen in the above photo.  The paraffin container leaks and is in need of repair but otherwise it is all in good condition.

• Like 1

Solder it Compo, On that last Lister engine I restored the fuel tank look like a pepper pot underneath where it had rotted out, sanded it down to bare metal and tinned it, made a patch out of some copper tube,cut the tube length ways and opened it out, flattened it between two hammers,cleaned that up and tinned it, put the copper "patch"  over cleaned tinned area of tank, applied heat using a blowlamp,the two fused together, hey presto, no more leaks, saved over seventy quid for a new tank

Rog

• Like 1
2 hours ago, plantfit said:

Solder it Compo

It's going to need a patch, Rog. I keep meaning to get a round tuit but the local shop no longer stocks them.  I also need a soldering iron - mine gave up the ghost the other week. It was a gas operated one and the tank sprung a leak.

• Like 2

You don't seem to have much luck with tanks just lately Compo, I tried to get a soldering iron,looked around all the car boot sales and antiques shops,no luck so bought a gas blowtorch from homebase with a couple of gas bottles £26 job done, funny enough I saw an old soldering iron a couple of weeks ago at a Newark (tat/rubbish) auction, bloke wanted three quid for it, rip off,so dint bother

Rog

• Like 3

Proper fabrication shop

2008_0917Extec0009.jpg

Turning out these, mobile tracked screening machines and crushers for the aggregate industry

2008_0917Extec0010.jpg

Big boys toys

Rog

• Like 2