The shame of it....

To all and sundry...

Having played more than 1,000 games of club cricket spanning 30 years (with a hard ball) without sustaining any injury.....my 4 year old grandson threw a plastic ball at me yesterday.....and I broke my finger!!

Cheers

'Humiliated' of Bingham....

Oh dear John, hope it wasn't your middle finger and it's strapped up. It will look like you are giving folks 'the finger' Ouch, I bet that hurt.

Did you play cricket for Bingham? I have a friend who played for Woodborough for donkey's years.

Oh no how did you manage that,did you fall on the floor to save it & fell on your finger, isn't it always the way? Hope it isn't the finger you use to pick your nose Rob?

:Friends: Well that's typical is'nt it, brake your finger and all the jokers come out to take the P155. I can sypothise with your predicament rob I too broke a finger some years ago it's bloody painful aint it rob and nothing to joke about you women! girlvboy

Which hand is it on rob? mine was on my right little finger The Pinky...It was ok at first a little sore and throbbed a bit and after a few pints the pain went away but the embarrassment stayed to this day, I have never got over the remarks the chaps in the pub said, may explain one of the reasons I take tablets...ummmmm.. :Vampire:

Sorry cocker.................................

I'm going to throw caution to the wind.... I've never broken a finger, ribs, a toe and had my nose broken by a drunk Scotsman in Market Square one night many moons ago.

Now, I'll be going out to do some mowing later, and you can bet I'll get off the tractor, slip and break a finger. :Fool:

Katyjay:

I played most of my cricket with Old Paviors, but with some other clubs too, such as Cinderhill Colliery, Bingham, Bestwood Colliery and Wollaton.

Played against Woodborough [with their famous 25 yard boundary!] many times over the years.

Caz:

My grandson merely threw the ball, with the velocity expected of a 4 year old, and it landed on the top digit of my left little finger.

Your prompt makes me realise that it is the usual left nostril picker!...thanks for making me feel even worse :Shock:

BiP:

I tried to reduce the all round mirth by mailing my friends with a quick confession. An ex cricketing mate sent a rather crude e-card reply, summarising the many uses for a little finger.......

Little finger of left hand......I'm intent on NOT revealing that I awoke in the night with a throbbing digit :rolleyes:

Ayup:

Fall off your tractor wrongly and you could well finish up sliced in the grassbox.....broken finger might be a better option.

Many thanks for all of your 'sympathies'

Cheers

Robt P.

Rob, don't suppose you knew any of the Woodborough players? Our friend is Dave Mellows, very tall and fair haired. His son, Simon played for Woodborough with his dad too, also very tall and very blond. Sadly Simon died almost a year ago, age 32.

Yes I knew Dave and his son......by sight if not by name.

Would have played against Dave many times for Old Paviors.

One of my last umpiring commitments was Woodborough v Bingham, some 5 years ago. Simon, with his very distinctive appearance, played in that game.

I did read of his sad passing on the Village League website.

Do ask Dave if he remembers my cousin the late Keith Hoskins, who lived in the village for many years and was a fine cricketer in his day.....as was his own Dad Fred.

Keith and I had the rare 'family' distinction of playing together for Notts II v Worcestershire II at Trent Bridge, early 60's.

Cheers

Robt P.

• 1 month later...

Hi Rob, I've finally heard from our cricketing friend in Woodborough. He doesn't remember you [sorry] but remembers your cousin Keith very well. He said he was stickler when it came to either side being turned out correctly. Woe betide any that weren't, he let them know about it. Dave said Keith is buried in Woodborough cemetery, next to his 12 yr old grand daughter, who drowned while on a catamaran holiday in Greece. That's sad, isn't it? He says both Keith's wife and mother still live in Woodborough. Keith died of the same rare cancer that Simon did, quite a coincidence.

Didn't respond initially, as I read of your holiday departure in the above thread.

Often encountered Keith's fastidious attitude to appearance...one of these folks who got dressed up like a tailors dummy to fetch the Sunday papers.

Knew of the drowning tragedy with his grand daughter, but hadn't realised (I was abroad at the time of his death and funeral) that they were buried alongside....so emotional.

IIRC, his mother passed away many years ago.....the reference must relate to wife Shirley's mother.

Do have a good Iberian holiday...pity you can't divert en route to give your travelling compatriots a guided tour of Amesbury Circus :rolleyes:

Cheers

Robt P.

Crikey, they'd think they'd come to the Bronx! We did take them to Nottm in 94, and did a pub crawl round Nottm with of course, the Trip included. We stayed at, what was, the George Hotel to be nice and central. We didn't sleep a wink, talk about noisy, all those club goers cut along George St between clubs. When they finally quit walking/yelling, the dustbin men came, then a construction crew started up. Can laugh about it now.

I can assure you katyjay nothing has changed still as rowdy as ever it's a right S&G still................the George Hotel hasn't moved.....The Mill pub at the bottom of Hockley has been converted to posh flats....and the Old Cricketers Pub has been demolished which was a list building mind you, to make way for some more posh flats but this time with nice little balcony's over looking the new Ice Arena.... vampire2