Speaking to the other 'arf.

Mentioned about how we used to have to go down to the wool shop to fetch Mum (bless her soul) a few bundles of the wool she had put aside so she could finish the latest knitting project. (yes, I did have to wear some of them :shout: )

Looking around, we notice that knitting seems to be a dying art - so to speak. Only one of our 'younger' generation in the family seems to knit whereas years ago, every time someone was pregnant the old knitting needles used to come out to make the booties and bonnets. Or Christmas presents smile2

Is it a dying pastime?

Is it cheaper for the young 'uns to buy now rather than make?

Do you know any young ones that knit?

Morale of the story - DON'T buy shares in a wool shop! thumbsdown

My wife (bless her soul) was a big knitter in the seventy's and eighty's and like your mum knitted for the new members of the family. I still have one or two things that my wife knitted me and I shall never ever get rid of them in fact I still ware them on the odd occasion especially in the winter.....but yes I think like you it's a dieing art form in the younger generation, here in Beeston/Chilwell there use to be several wool selling shops but sadly they have all gone to be replaced with Charity outlets, estate agents or fast food shops....

Anyone remember the good old balaclava knitted by mums at the beginning of every winter and worn throughout the cold weather to 'stop earache'

Usually in grey but occasionally in other more 'trendy' colours such as dark blue or green.

We must 'av been posh 'cos we ad black ones. Used to wear it on me paper round. B)

I knit!

It's theraputic, for me, not those who have to listen to the "clicking" of needles. And my daughter did attend a knitting club at school but didn't have the patience to continue.

It is easier and probably cheaper to just go and buy a garment, and I think it might be a dying thing. I'll do my best to keep it going.

Never made a balaclava though.

Any chance of some nice grey socks for chrimbo Gert - size 8?

And if you've got time a nice blue willy warmer - size XXX wouldn't go amiss as winters coming on early this year smile2

Hello Gert! Congratulations!! Looks like you'll be busy knitting this year! Do you know yet when the babies are due?

• 10 years later...
On 27 August 2006 at 6:44 PM, Frank said:

And if you've got time a nice blue willy warmer 

Willy warmer now there's a blast from the past, mine got stollen off the washing line, not to bothered, it's the 40 pegs I would like back. 

• Upvote 1