Yesterday whilst we were walking Jj we went past Strelley Church there was a notice outside saying “church open”, never having been inside I decided to have a look.

There was an elderly gentleman inside and he gave me a guided tour giving me a lot of fascinating information. 
I didn’t realise that Strelley is actually named for the, I presume, ruling family of that area. The tombs inside with the figures on top (are they effergies?) are quite spectacular and one of the married couples are actually holding hands which is highly unusual. Can’t remember their names, he did tell me, but the male fought with Richard the Lionheart in the crusades. There is another one, the male being the Crusaders nephew with his wife, they have their hands together in prayer. Next to them are 2 small graves which are for their first two children who died, a boy and a girl. There are also some earlier burials in the floor of the church, I think he said 13th century which are covered by carpet, he pulled it back so you could see them. 
The ceiling is quite spectacular for such a small church as are the stained glass windows. There is a book on display which he showed me so you can see the designs on the windows in more detail. 
There was a dig near the hall a few weeks ago where they were looking for the castle that was there, a forerunner of Strelley Hall which looks to be Georgian in the main and they have found evidence of where it was. 
I wish a I had longer to stay there but Jj was getting noisey and my companion was getting cold, he did offer to make me a cup of tea and tell me more about the church but I had to go. 
Apparently it is open every 3rd Sunday after the services. If you get the chance please go and have a look, it is a lovely little church with a lot of history and the gentleman who shows you round is really knowledgable about it. I’m sure he will love to make you a cup of tea! 
I always thought there was a female pirate buried in the churchyard. There is a grave and on the headstone there is a skull and crossbones but apparently this is something that was put on headstones at one time and nothing to do with pirates. A childhood fantasy shattered:sorry:

Goodness haven’t posted for quite a while and then like buses two come along in quick succession.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I've been in the church several times. A friend of mine is descended from the Strelley family. His maternal great grandmother was born a Strelley. I have lots of archive photos of them. Strange lot, they were. There is a legend that one of the four knights who took Henry II at his word and set off to murder Becket was a Strelley but their names are known and Strelley isn't among them.

My friend's cousin has done years of research into the family's origins and is being persuaded to write a book about it.

A few years back, when visiting Nottingham, we booked to stay a couple of nights in the old vicarage opposite Strelley church. It was by far, the smallest room I've ever stayed in. And not only that, but we were required to remove our shoes when entering the premises.