I see Boris Johnson and wife have welcomed their latest sprog into the world. Whether that's a good idea, the parlous state this world is in, is debatable but they seem determined to make the place even more populous than it already is.

Choice of names is interesting. At least the first two are traditional. Odysseus? Fairly predictable. However, not to be outdone, I seem to have adopted a stray tomcat (you can draw your own comparisons) who has been coming into my garden for weeks. He's a scrounger, so I named him Montague Tigg after the persistent, scruffy, scrounging character in Dickens ' novel Martin Chuzzlewit.  Montague Tigg has a middle name: Isosceles.  Different but appropriate. He's a tabby with a perfect isosceles triangle of white fur on his left shoulder.  Gives him a bit of extra panache which he might need one of these days when he wakes up to find that the furry dice under his tail have disappeared.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

As mentioned elsewhere…

"The former prime minister Boris Johnson is keen to be thought of as a scholar of the classics. In Greek mythology, Odysseus leaves behind his wife and child to seek adventure, encountering many other women along the way."

Like father, like son? Only time will tell.