Don’t get fooled by mild weather for starting off seeds

Please remember we are only at the start of February peeps and the weather will undoubtedly change to being cold again shortly. Broad beans are pretty hardy and I am going to put my onion sets into modules tomorrow to start them off and then they’ll be in the greenhouse till they start sprouting and rooting ready to plant in my polytunnel. Jobs to do for now will be preparing the ground and adding compost or fertilisers if you can actually get onto the soil, it’s so wet! 

No doubt Monty Don will soon be instructing us in Spring planting in his bleedin’ obvious way. I’ve stopped watching him as he’s so incredibly boring. I think the late Geoff Hamilton was the best gardening presenter by far. I find Titchmarsh a bit smarmy but I do have fond memories of Percy Thrower. My mother was full of praise for him when she met him on a mini cruise on the QE2.

I used to like Geoff Hamilton and also Geoffrey Smith. The latter's infectious humour and obvious love of his subject was very apparent. He bore a resemblance to George Orwell, I thought. Then there was Bob Flowerdew and his floating lettuce boxes.

I agree totally about Monty Don, not exactly charismatic although I enjoyed his series of gardens in Italy. Think that was more the affection for Italy that I have though!  Barnsdale is definitely worth a visit and Geoff’s son Is a lovely guy. It is nice that he has carried on the legacy. The cafe is good too. Didn’t get my onion sets planted in modules today. Tomorrow is another day as they say.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Don’t get fooled by mild weather for starting off seeds