We were in Paris in April for the Johnny Winter - Tribute to Alvin Lee (sort of) concert. Brigitte and I took a tour bus around the city, to see the sights. I went top-side in the double decker bus, and thanked god-almighty that I wasn't driving. Glad you had a good time at The Who concert, a hell of a lot better than going to a Rolling Stones concert in my opinion.

Much as I used to like The Stones, I think that going to see them now is more a matter of nostalgia than for a great live performance.

As evidenced by the recent Glastonbury appearance, they seemed to sleep-walk through a lot of their classic hits.

The Who on the other hand, can still give a blinding live show.

I just bought the newly released Who At Hull CD on ebay. You can find it there for as low as 11:99 - I bought it for $13.00 from a dealer I trust.

It's suppose to be better than Live At Leeds according to Roger and Pete. Live at Leeds, February 14th and Hull on February 15th.

Pete remastered it, and made corrections from place to place in the performance, as the first few songs were missing from the original recording. "Edit Job" by Pete himself, and that's good enough for me - it's a two cd set....the second cd is Tommy performed live.

barclaycon (#27), everyone has a right to their opinion and I respect yours. However, I would disagree with your comment that they sleep-walked through a lot of their classic hits. The fact is, they put on a great show which was enjoyed by a record audience who'd gone to see them at Glastonbury. When you watch my video on 'What Are You Listening To Today'(#1007) thread, you only have to look at the joy and happiness on the faces in the crowd as they sing along and listen to some great music.

Regarding 'The Who', I think they have been one of the best Rock bands ever and, in my opinion, Roger Daltry has one of the best voices I've heard.

MELTONSTILTON, it sounds like you had a great time at the concert (#25) and it's good to hear that 'The Who' are still going strong. I know what you mean about the Paris traffic as I've worked there many times over the years. The Peripherique was much worse than the M25.

My view on the Rolling Stones. I've always liked them over the years, I respect them all. Their music holds up very well over the years, and my favorite Stones albums are: Let It Bleed and Get Your Ya Ya's Out. Keith and Mick are great song writers and excellent performers...they do make it all look so easy. Mr. Barclaycon, I too have to disagree with you on this one. They still are what they always were in the beginning, a great rockin blues band with soul. I've seen bands just going through the motions, and it's boring to watch let alone listen to. I've also seen newer band that bore me to death, using the same tricks from yesterdays bands. I propose the question, if you were say, Mick or Keith, and you really didn't want to be there - would you be there? No amount of money, fame, press time - would be insentive enough to make you do something you don't want to do. At least that's my feeling. They were once the bad boys of rock and roll - now they've mellowed is all.

Their remastered cd's don't excite me as much as the Beatles do. The Beatles sound fresh new and polished. The Stones sound flat, dull and dated....but always sound good on AM radio.

Look at The Who for example, great show, great music and explosive on stage. Four guys who belonged together in the true spirit of rock and roll. Raunchy, violent and brilliant of mind. Roger the, get me back to my hotel in time for my tea.. Pete is Pete the brooding loner.. Keith and John, could never sit still, and they were, friends of the fans. Four grains of sand - making one pearl of a band.

I guess it all comes down to, could we imagine a world without the Rolling Stones being on tour somewhere? Mick and Keith could not, and would not be replaced.....now the question is, would they ever shut it down on their own, or just keep doing one last final, end all tour, as they keep doing? If the people keep on paying for tickets, coming to their shows and have the passion to keep the band working and alive, I say rock on and god bless ya. Where have all the good times gone!

Just in passing - I saw a cd cover the other day, with an old man on it, and I thought to myself, what's this guy all about, so I stopped and had a look - it was Eric Burdon.

Had the good fortune to see 'the Who' last November,a terrific show.

The 'Stones' are still a force to reckon with, 50 years on.

Most of the bands we grew up listening to, are part of our lives today,who doesn't sing along to a Beatles song, that comes on the radio,or a band from way back. We were soaked in music from the bands that came into being during the 60s', it was truly a'music revolution'.

We came into the 60s' with the Americans dominating the charts, by the middle of the decade it was our home-grown bands that were filling the UK and US charts.

I'm sure alot of the music we listen to is for nostalgia, but I wouldn't go to see a band for that reason,I want to be'rocked out of my seat', and there are some old bands that can still do it.

• Upvote 2

Indeed they can, and more power to them for being able to.

It shows that musicianship and skill pisses all over 'attitude' every time.

Rappers, DJ's and 'mincing-around-to-backing-track' performers seem to refer to groups as 'old school'. As if what they do is somehow superior. There have been occasions, like on that Jools Holland programme, where we've had a direct comparison between old and new.. and it's been unintentionally hysterical!

To see Metallica strike up 'Enter Sandman' after some lame rapper or for The Who to kick into 'My Generation' in a similar situation; does my heart good.

My bugbear with The Stones these days is to do with the performances of the 'Walking corpse' and Ron Wood who seem to bluff their way through and make mistakes to an alarming degree.

The rest of the band seem as solid as ever though, and Jagger always gives 100%.

Just my opinion - When I go to a concert these days, I don't want to see a guitar player playing with his teeth, between his legs, behind his back, his neck or throwing his guitar around. Spitting is also out - punk is over. It's all been done - give me a Joe Bonamassa any day of the week.

But you'd want to see somebody playing - right ?

As opposed to miming or singing over a backing track.

And presumably you'd want to see somebody able to give a performance that would be equal or better than the record.

Maybe even some improvisation.

Always makes me laugh when talent show winners propose a tour and nobody is interested in buying tickets.

Thanks for that Barclaycon - for a moment I thought it was just me getting old and grumpy - glad I'm not alone here. Needless to say, ticket prices.

The most I have ever paid was $90.00 per ticket that I bought off of EBAY - because Brigitte wanted to see Billy Idol again, after we had just left the Billy Idol with Steve Stevens concert in Hannover, Germany.....she was so happy and talked about it all the way home - and to which I have no regret. It was worth every dollar spent to see the second concert.....and yes the seller on EBAY was honest and sent us the tickets. Perfect.

I guess all I can say at this point, is make sure that if you really want to see the band you like - do your research as to who is presently in the band, check ticket prices, the day of the week they're playing - before laying out your hard earned money. Most of all, have a great time!