Kent Earthquake...

Note today's national TV news hysteria over the Kent earthquake....

Too close to the M25 stockade for comfort!

Recall the virtual non-reportage of our similar local 'quake [epicentre "14 miles below Long Clawson" - how the hell do they know that!] of about 5 years back..

Perhaps with the Geographical Survey being based at Keyworth we get a head start :tease:

Cheers

Robt P.

We had one over here (Mid Cheshire) about 5years ago too and the T.V. cameras were concentrating on Liverpool .One stupid scally even had the gall to show the cameras a" crack that had been formed by the quake in the side of my pub" Bit strange thought I as it already had weeds growing out of it. Them Scousers will try it on any time

;)

LOL...typical Scouse....

Once had a Liverpudlian neighbour who put in an elaborate insurance claim for thawed/perished freezer food, arising from an extended power cut. His freezer contents were most impressive - primarily the most expensive cuts of meat available, venison, fillet steak et al.

Only one potential problem....he didn't own a freezer!

Cheers

Robt P.

I REMEMBER AN EARTH TREMOR IN NOTTINGHAM IN 1957. AT THE TIME I WAS WORKING FOR WILLIAM HOLLINS ON CASTLE BOULEVARD [ ON THE TOP FLOOR ]IT WAS VERY FRIGHTENING THE BUILDING ROCKED FROM SIDE TO SIDE AND THE SEWING MACHINES SLID ALONG THE FLOOR. THE FIXED LIGHTS ON THE CEILING SWUNG LIKE KIDS SWINGS ON A PLAY PARK

I REMEMBER AN EARTH TREMOR IN NOTTINGHAM IN 1957. AT THE TIME I WAS WORKING FOR WILLIAM HOLLINS ON CASTLE BOULEVARD [ ON THE TOP FLOOR ]IT WAS VERY FRIGHTENING THE BUILDING ROCKED FROM SIDE TO SIDE AND THE SEWING MACHINES SLID ALONG THE FLOOR. THE FIXED LIGHTS ON THE CEILING SWUNG LIKE KIDS SWINGS ON A PLAY PARK

You might have been working with my mum ! she told me that same story years ago but I don't remember where she was working (She also was a machinist)I will phone and ask her where she was working

;)

Been through a few! First major one was when I lived in Wollongong NSW, I'd just got home from work in the early hours of the morning, I lived on the top story of a block of flats. I don't know how long I'd been asleep when I was awoken to doors rattling, windows making a horrible noise and my bed shaking as if I had a poltergiest in the room! Scared seven shades of it out me. That was based in Picton, NW of me. We had several aftershocks but I was underground when they happened so didn't feel them.

Next was the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989, I was in Sacramento at the time, so only just felt it.

Next was when we lived in the Sierra Foothills at Mt Aukum. Early morning, I was drinking a cup of tea and watching the news on one of the Sacramento channels, the missus was having a shower. Next thing I know the house was shaking, lights swinging and a scary feeling, I wondered what the missus was doing until I realised what it was. 5 mins later it hit Sacramento! I was watching the newscrew on the TV panicking! It was centred way up the mountains. I checked all my water lines joining the house, no leaks or cracks!

There were some minor ones when I lived in Bathurst NSW, but I didn't feel those, I was driving or at work, so only informed of them.

You might have been working with my mum ! she told me that same story years ago but I don't remember where she was working (She also was a machinist)I will phone and ask her where she was working

;)

My mum worked at Elsingtons up above Charles Butlers where the blood doners centre is on Castle Boulevarde

;)

I hear the earthquake caused over £2million worth of improvements.

Always the way with the British claiming mentality...

Reckon the ABI will be the using the 'betterment' word quite often in Kent this week. Many pictures of the damage to some Edwardian properties suggest that most have not been maintained for years...the owners will see it as 'Manna from Heaven'

Those who chose to be uninsured will expect mythical DSS type "compensation"

Watch the London red-top gutter press climb on the 'let us know if you have insurance problems' bandwagon.

Cheers

Robt P.