Channel 5 TV programme

Did anyone else watch tonight's programme about local gangster Wayne Hardy?

The cut-price Capone was last on tv about ten years ago when World in Action did an undecover expose of his drug dealing empire in and around Nottingham.

With his drug addicted, prostitute daughter, the death of his other daughter at the hands of her mother (who committed suicide) and a terminally ill son the programme tried to paint a more sympatheic picture of the man.

Personally I was unmoved and was left wondering why the authorities hadn't siezed every one of his ill gotten assets.

Most nauseating was his harking back to the good old days when disputes were settled with fists. I'd like to bet that when Hardy had a beef you had your fists and he had his heavies with baseball bats.

The quicker he and his ilk are put behind bars the better.

I did watch it and I am of the opinion he is getting his come uppance (Don't forget his brother was knocked down and killed also)

I know it sounds strange, Bamber,but would you happen to know the name of his father ,-and was he born in Nottingham?

His father was mentioned but I don't recall his first name.

If it's of any help the programme said that father was of Irish extraction and involved in the scrap metal business.

Interesting.

I like this bit...

"Don't be so negative..the Labour Government is to increase the number of C3PO's

there will be so many of them you will be able to festoon all the lamposts in your city with one. That'll sort crime out!"

• 1 month later...

I wonder what this new books about ?

Hoods- Carl Fellstrom

Nottingham is one of the UK's fastest growing and most prosperous cities. Investment has transformed it into a cosmopolitan and vibrant centre for shopping, education and leisure. But the rapid economic growth has been overshadowed in recent years by a massive increase in gang-related violence and an influx of drugs and guns that has brought terror to the city streets, seen high-profile murders and led to Nottingham being labelled Gun Capital UK. While the city has a history of organised criminality dating back to the legend of Robin Hood, when the dance and drugs scene exploded in the 1980s, a far more malignant breed of organised criminal took centre stage. Prominent crime families from across the city who had been previously involved in armed robbery, protection rackets and extortion now fought for control of the lucrative drugs trade and forged links with other crime families in the UK and Europe to bring wholesale quantities of cocaine, ecstasy and amphetamines. Gangs such as the Waterfront Gang, the Radford Boys and the St Ann's Crew fell out over turf or personal disputes. In 2002, the problem exploded into a series of shootings running at more than one a week. As local police struggled to cope with the spiralling pattern of murder and reprisal, M15 and the National Crime Squad launched a massive undercover crackdown on the bloody reign of the Nottingham 'untouchables' that would lead to the dismantling of one of the UK's most powerful criminal empires. Written with the pace and urgency of a thriller, "Hoods" is the first in-depth history of the Nottingham crime gangs and how they came to blight an entire city.

5199E70r6xL._SS500_.jpg