I'm not a comfort eater.

!jumping! You can forgive me for being a little excited last night as I closed the front door to me bungalow to make my way to the Nags head, on the understanding that I would be having a pint or two of Harvest Pale this night.

The thought of having a pint of HP for the very first time in one of my locals was overpowering, that feeling have been with me ever since I read in one of Micks replies that my local have been seen selling it.

As all of you know since moving away from Beeston I haven’t been able to get a decent drink let alone a pint of locally brewed beer even though not five miles away there is a perfectly good small brewery making some of the best beers in the country.

It took me less than five minutes to be pushing the Nags Head door open. On entering I made my way straight to the bar ignoring anyone in there of which I knew to be confronted with three hand pumps, one of which had it’s pump clip turned around so as from the public side it couldn’t be read. There was only one bar staff on this particular night even though the pub was full; luckily for me she was busy serving someone else in the other room, so I reached over and turned the clip around so as I could read what it said on the other side.

Before I did this manoeuvre I had this sinking feeling in me stomach, you see I recognised the shape of said bar clip and if my suspicions were right it would say Harvest pale..

My suspicions were right it did say HP, so I quickly turned it back and marched my way to the exit in discuss before I caught the attention of the bar person.

The fresh air from the two-minute walk to the Shaftsbury Club did the trick of bringing me back to reality, will there be a day when I can pop down my local for a pint of HP? Or am I preordained not to be able to. thumbsdown

As I read the Nottingham Evening Post as I do while listening to the bingo caller churning out the random lucky numbers for the old crusties, my mind kept on harking back to me standing at the Nags Head bar earlier.

Turning that pump clip around and to say I was devastated would have been an understatement but the five pints of Mansfield bitter at £1-86 a pint eased that devastation especially so when I passed by the Nags on my way home, I even gave the local Chinese throw away the cold shoulder, no sweet and sour pork and chips for me this night I'm not a comfort eater. !hungr!

Bip.

Could be one of 2 scenarios here Bip.

Scenario 1

The barrel had only just been delivered and was 'resting' in the cellar ready for drinking when it had settled

Scenario 2

All the other locals had drank the barrel dry before you got there !rotfl!

I bet it would be served too cold anyway mate, unless they adjust the cellar temperature - but that would then affect the lager and John Smiths :blink:

If scenario two is to believed then I hope they enjoyed it because I would have, also I hope they want more of the same because I do, even though again it was over priced at £2-45pp like all the beers they sell in the Nags Head..

If scenario one is to believe then I will have to pop back later this week on the off chance that it’s been put on, but that I very much doubt Frank because Mick said he saw it on earlier this week.

There is one thing bothering me Frank, when I looked on the land lords order sheet, you know the list the one Marstons says he can order from there was no mention of Harvest Pale. Do you think someone at Marstons has been reading what I have been saying about the lack of real ale about these parts?

Many weeks ago even months now I was having a word with the landlord about this very situation with the lack of real ale in and around Sawley. He said at the time that Marstons doesn’t recognise the small breweries, I reckon something has changed mate don’t you.

PS. you can cut out the laughing mate it's not funny being unable to get a pint of HP. madashell

Bip.

Just shows how popular it is around these parts then Den.

Better Dab in next time if you want a half!

The fact that you did not ask for it, they might say

"HP? theres not much call for it Hereabouts"

Could be one of 2 scenarios here Bip.

Scenario 1

The barrel had only just been delivered and was 'resting' in the cellar ready for drinking when it had settled

Scenario 2

All the other locals had drank the barrel dry before you got there !rotfl!

I bet it would be served too cold anyway mate, unless they adjust the cellar temperature - but that would then affect the lager and John Smiths :blink:

Scenario 3:

They heard Den was on his way, but his reputation got there first!

;)

Just shows how popular it is around these parts then Den.

Better Dab in next time if you want a half!

The fact that you did not ask for it, they might say

"HP? theres not much call for it Hereabouts"

;) Look Mick I know when I’m being wound up so stop it…..ok?

If the paint hasn’t dried on me door surrounds in me hallway I shall be popping in there tonight hopping beyond hope that Gavin has another barrel of the liquid gold in his subterranean vault.

Bip.

PS. you can cut out the laughing mate it's not funny being unable to get a pint of HP. madashell

Bip.

Just think how Mick feels when he can't find anywhere that sells J2O on draught. smile2

I didnt think it would last long, But I thought Den would drink it all?

What do you take me for Mick, an alcoholic?

If you have your ears on Frank my mate and I shall be in the Poacher at the usual time tonight he’s looking forward to trying the new brew from CR [ ? & Twiggy]

Bip. flyswat

Bip.

Can't make it tonight mate as me lovely little girl is up visitin' from Cambridge fer the weekend.

I've tried the Jo & Twiggy stuff in the Lion at Basford last night. Can't say that I'd like to make it me favourite. thumbsdown

http://www.pub-explorer.com/notts/pub/lioninnnewbasford.htm

Did have a couple of Mallard brews though - quite delicious, light in colour, 4.1%ABV, moorish etc. thumbsup

http://www.mallard-brewery.co.uk/

Jo and Twiggy that’s it Frank…not good?

Thanks for the links, wish Castle rock sold their beer the same. The last time I enquired about buying from them they said they don’t sell to the public, pity that.

Bip. :Vampire:

Just had a cracking Sunday dinner @ The Pullman Inn Widmerpool washed down with a pint of Green King IPA ..superb .

Noticed they where selling your HP & £2-20 plus Elsie Mo in the Kean's Head St. Marys Gate last night Den . I had a pint of the Belgian rocket fuel Leffe 9%.

Finished me off .

There I thought we had another convert in you Red but I see we were wronge.

Green King IPA.....no comment

Leffe....no comment.

Both brews have damaged the planet with the distance they have traveled........drink local.....

Bip.

Noticed they where selling your HP & £2-20 plus Elsie Mo in the Kean's Head St. Marys Gate last night Den . 

Isn't the Keans Head one of Castle Rocks pubs?

Bip.