Nottingham Institutions

I suppose every city has these, places, customs or people that are unique to that place or associated very strongly in some way. Perhaps a good yardstick is to imagine how much you would miss it or do miss it if you're away from Nottingham.

Here's one that came to mind with me yesterday. It's extremely difficult for me passing through the Victoria Centre or anywhere within it proximity to ignore the hot peas and seafood stand on the Victoria fish market. I just can't resist the place. Upon leaving here it would be something I always associated with my time living here. A part of 'old' Nottingham that still lives on.

"Small peas and some prawns please?"

...It's extremely difficult for me passing through the Victoria Centre or anywhere within it proximity to ignore the hot peas and seafood stand on the Victoria fish market. I just can't resist the place...

Perhaps you haven't paid homage for a while...

Owner for decades - Eric Dickinson - has sold up, at his retirement.

Concensus being that the place is but a shadow of its former self.

Apparently, even the mint sauce has changed for the worse !sickly!

Much has been previously posted in the group on Eric's mushy peas, and the sad downfall of the stand.

Sorry to be the imparter of such bad news...

Cheers

Robt P.

...It's extremely difficult for me passing through the Victoria Centre or anywhere within it proximity to ignore the hot peas and seafood stand on the Victoria fish market. I just can't resist the place...

Perhaps you haven't paid homage for a while...

Owner for decades - Eric Dickinson - has sold up, at his retirement.

Concensus being that the place is but a shadow of its former self.

Apparently, even the mint sauce has changed for the worse !sickly!

Sorry to be the imparter of such bad news...

Cheers

Robt P.

I was on there yesterday Rob. I would agree that it's not been up to it's old standards for a while. I've been using it for so many years that I would miss it if it disappeared completely. That would be a great shame.

Remember the days when you could get oysters on there?

[Remember the days when you could get oysters on there?

Yes indeed...

And Eric's regular advice:

"I'll wrap 'em in newspaper - pop 'em in the fridge when you get home, and eat 'em within 2 days..."

Plan to visit next week...less trepidation, now you have been!

Anyone experienced this newish Loch Fyne fish restauraunt/take away, on King Street?

Very nice fare, but pricey...so I hear.

Cheers

Robt P.

Are Loch Fyne fish restaurants a franchise/chain? I just wondered as we went in one in Leith in September. It was brand new, built on reclaimed land and very nice inside. Didn't know they were elsewhere.

[Remember the days when you could get oysters on there?

Yes indeed...

And Eric's regular advice:

"I'll wrap 'em in newspaper - pop 'em in the fridge when you get home, and eat 'em within 2 days..."

Plan to visit next week...less trepidation, now you have been!

Anyone experienced this newish Loch Fyne fish restauraunt/take away, on King Street?

Very nice fare, but pricey...so I hear.

Cheers

Robt P.

Haven't been myself Rob but I have friends who have and their comments were very positive. In fact - I think they enjoyed it.

Keep meaning to try it myself but everytime we decide to go out for a meal we can't think of anywhere new to go so we end up at one of the usual haunts.

The Loch Fyne business is a chain. The missus and I went in there quite a few years back armed with a £50 gift voucher which seemed to not go very far if I recall. Everything was abolutely excellent but pricey. Remember a couple of moneyed young guys in there having a mixed seafood type plate which was enormous (and probably enormously expensive). If you should visit, I can recommend the traditional Scottish dessert of Cranachin which was pretty authentic when I visited.

The one at the shore in Leith has quite some competition from the like of Skippers etc. Leith is 'home ground' to me and is as good a restaurant district as you'll come across for many a mile.

Verdict: Very good/quite expensive

We couldn't get a table at the one in Leith. It had opened only a few days before and was booked solid for ages, so we only had a drink. We are going back to Edinburgh in October next, and will try and book ahead to eat there, seeing how there will be 15 of us!

We couldn't get a table at the one in Leith. It had opened only a few days before and was booked solid for ages, so we only had a drink. We are going back to Edinburgh in October next, and will try and book ahead to eat there, seeing how there will be 15 of us!

There's a great range of good restaurants in Leith these days. Some of the ones I've tried have been, Skipper's Bistro. Malmaison, Daniel's, The King's Wark, Martin Wishart's etc. You won't go too far wrong wherever you go down there. It does tend to be a little bit more expensive than some areas though.

Here's a little tip for you if you enjoy Italian food: http://www.vittoriarestaurant.com/ Vittoria's is situated half way up Leith Walk towards Edinburgh on the left hand side. I have local friends that have been going there for years as I have and would always recommend it. Ideal for parties, nice lively atmosphere without being too boisterous. Great food and friendly service.

Thanks for the tips Stu, we'll be there several nights so will try and eat at one of the places you mention, and thanks Rob for the website. I've been on and looked at it.

Thanks for the tips Stu, we'll be there several nights so will try and eat at one of the places you mention, and thanks Rob for the website. I've been on and looked at it.

You're welcome, Katy. Edinburgh is my home town originally so any other questions in general just shout up eh. I'm going there this weekend actually and maybe Vittoria's will get a visit...along with many of the city pubs!

The Abbotsford

The Cafe Royal

The Guildford Arms

The Halfway House

The Ensign Ewart

Mathers Bar.

See what you started!

I have 2 favourite towns in Scotland, Edinburgh and St Andrews, we'll be at both next Oct. I love em. Was in Edinburgh September just gone. I had read about Dean Village in various books and finally went and saw it this time. I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't like I expected! But, it was very nice to walk around, then we did the riverwalk to Stockbridge.

St. Andrews is a lovely place in it's own right. Everytime I've been there it's been lashing with rain though!

Dean Village is a little gem and the Water of Leith walkway is something that deserves more attention I always think. Stockbridge I like. It's smart with nice housing bars and businesses. Not far from the city centre either. I'm inclined towards the east of the city and beyond, coming from Musselburgh originally. Leith and Portobello are my kind of places.

Did you happen to visit this place at all, Katy?

Mary King's Close

After many years meaning to go down there I finally got around to doing it a few weeks back. I thoroughly recommend it. A tremendous visit.

I saw that on your blog and made a note of it. It would be something interesting to do on one of the days there, the historic walk. I and some of my travelling companions [Americans] have done Edinburgh several times, some of the others have never been. But we've never done a walk, either historic or ghost. I rather fancy the historic walk.

On this last trip we also stayed in North Berwick, a lovely little town. My brother and wife stayed in Musselburgh in the summer, to 'do' Edinburgh.