Landseer Street Area

Landseer Street mentioned by Ilko brings back memories.

I used to play round there in the mid 60's.

There were some girls round there that we used to know (in the days when girls were just mates) ;)

There were two Sue's, (one was Sue Parnham), and another girl.

I think the Parnhams ran a shop in that area?

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think there was a shop on Landseer street about half way up,

I seem to recall looking in their window at some time or other.. wool/clothes ??

and talking of shops.. as a young lad I always hung my nose over a cheap plastic tractor that was in the window of a shop on Denman street.. imagine my astonishment when about 20 years later the same tractor was still there!.. turns out it was Albert the papermans shop, he'd been resisting change for as long as he could, and his window was like looking into a time warp, complete with dust.

the last time I saw him was in the eighties delivering newspapers on his bike..

I wonder what happened to him? :unsure:

ilko.

Shops in the area I remember. there was a papershop on the corner of Hartley Road, above Norton Street, There was an offy on the corner of a terrace below Barratts Sweets.

As a teenager I delivered for The Butcher Alfreton Road/Hartley Rd.

I can't remember his name. Before school I would peddle a bike all round

Bilborough and Asley, delivering Chine of beef etc. In all weathers dressed in a white shop coat, Rain Snow or Shine. It was freezing in the winter. I got lots of tips. Thinking back now probably cos they felt sorry for me.

• 1 year later...

The Newspaper Shop at the bottom of Hartley Road above the junction of Radford Blvd. used to be owned by George Sander, who is Polish I believe.

George now owns the large newsagent shop in Sandiacre near to the Police Station Traffic Lights.

The last time I was on Hartley Road, there was still a small shop called 'Vanity Fair', just opposite the chinese take away ('Tim Fook House').

Vanity fair has been there since I was a kid.

• 6 years later...

A bump of almost 7 years! Must be a record?

And it seems to have been near the present-day Landseer Close, off Garfield Road.

Located between Mozart Street and Coleridge Street - what were the town planners on when they named those places?

land_zps866fae74.jpg

Re George Sanders Newsagent, He no longer owns the Newsagents at Stapleford.

Saw him a few years back and he was retired and living in Sandiacre at that time.

• 1 year later...