Electricians everywhere

Only been on this site a few days but I have really been enjoying it. Great memories, great folks.

I've got to gerroff and gerra life. Oh well I've been too sick to do much else. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

One thing I've noticed so many of us started our careers as electricians even if we are not still in the trade now. Wonder how come? Co-incidence or what.

I notice a lot were NCB electricians.

Mine was more general electrical contracting. Anything from houses to supermarkets.

Ended up at the EMEB before I emigrated. First on Talbot street behind the Co-op. Then out to Bilboro and the big new place they had out there.

Any other old EMEB types on this site?

For us ex-pats. Did you keep doing the trade in your new country? Did you have much trouble getting the necessary license?

Wasn't too bad in Canada. Went to nightschool for a refresher for a few weeks to learn about different wire sizes/colors/codes etc. Then wrote the exam. Worst part was getting hired for first time. I got sick of hearing, "Sorry, you've got no Canadian experience." I finally got so mad I didn't care. Said to one potential employer, "How am I going to get any blankity blank Canadian experience if someone doesn't give me a chance to work?" He said, "I like your attitude, start Monday."

Seemed to be always fighting with the guy, but I got my experience and never looked back

Dave

Apprentice/Electrician, Nottingham Coop Building & Engineering Dept, Abbey St, Lenton

1968 - 1975. Peoples College 1968-72. Worked on the building of the Broad Marsh Centre,

amongst other things.

I've not practiced my trade in this country Dave, but I worked in coal mining in Oz, they had similar standards so had no problems. In fact when I went for an interview at Angus Place Colliery, I knew more about the switchgear than the Electrical Engineer!! Mind you, I'd had 4.5 years of nursing the same equipment at Boulby, North Yorks!