Looking for Sanderson Family Members in Nottingham

Hello my names Sam, and i'm looking for distant family members.

My Grandad, Ronald Sanderson had a big family, so i wanted to see how many Sanderson's are out there. :)

he was born in notttingham in 1915, his mothers maiden name was Kirkham (i believe, going off the information on FreeBMD search.)

i know he had a brother,as my dad has told me that. but i don't know his name.. (i'll have to ask my dad more about my grandads family, before i can put anymore details on here.)

Ronald was married to Winifred Sanderson nee Bates, Winifred had three brothers, Harry, Albert, George, Erniest? i can't remember if she had four? sorry.

(i'll have to get more information from my dad.)

her brothers emagrated to canada,apart from albert.

my grandma had a reunion with them in 1980, with the Canadian Reunion Club, (i've still got her badge that they gave her)

i've searched for the club online, but can't find anything on it.

i wanted to know if any knew my grandparents or there familys? as i'd love to find more Sanderson's or Bates out there. :)

I know i've got a cousin somewhere in canada or france? Sophie & her father Jean (french name)

we must have family scattered about, as my grandma had a necklace made out of copper with Shelagh written on it, (signed by the woman who made it, i believe she was my grandads sister..) over in canada or somewhere?

sorry i don't have much information, but i'll be asking my dad more about them soon.

i know we've got family in Clifton, my grandad's brother's family, but sadly Ray passed away and i never got to meet him. :(

never met his family either, but would like to.

so if you know of a Ron & Win Sanderson please let me know, as i'd like to meet Fellow Sanderson's :D

(but i'm sorry to say they are no longer with us, grandad passed away in 1986, & nana passed away in 1999. :(

yes i forgot to put that, thanks.

i know that my grandad & nana lived in basford, nottingham when my dad was born, in 1947.

and until Ron & Win passed away they lived at wendover drive, bilborough.

i'll get more information about them soon.:)

my parents have always lived in Bulwell.

• 2 weeks later...

i don't know? ive never heard my dad mention an off licence before. but you never know? as i dont know my grandads siblings names..only Charlie his brother.

i do know that my grandad was one of six children, and his brother Charlie had a daughter called Doreen whos married to her husband Len) they live in the medows somewhere :) but we have no idea where as doreen took Lens last name.

her parents were called Charlie and Meena (Wilmeena) sp? - (grandads brother & his wife)

and on FreeBMD.com it came up with, my grandads name and Date of birth, also 2 other children who have his mothers maiden name, Grace.E and Ivy, but i dont know if they are my grandads sisters or not?. (my dad hasnt heard of them before)

I know my grandparents lived in the medows for awhile, as my dad has showed me his old house before,.

without knowing my grandad's parents names, i cant search for anyone else in FreeBMD.

if i can track down doreen and len, i can ask them to see if they know there names.. (grandads siblings & his parents names)

but i have no idea what there last name is, so im abit stuck.

• 4 months later...

Hi Sam:

Only just seen this thread:

I remember a few of the Sandersons family in Old Basford [up to the mid 60's] Lol [Laurence?] Sanderson was a big lad, he had a younger sister, can't remember her name, his mum was a smallish woman with very light brown hair, wore glasses, they lived on Queens street close to the Bates family [Ada, Albert, Cyril?] and used to go in the Horse 'n' Jockey pub on Mill st [among other pubs in Basford] I believe they had connections with a family named 'Large', Betty, and Cyril? are the only names I can recall of that family though, they were Large by name, and large in numbers and the male members were 'big' lads.

'Lol' still lives locally, I last saw him about a year last christmas in the Lord Nelson on Percy street, [one of my very rare visits to a pub] he was with another Old Basford lad, Dave Handley.

I rarely see Dave now, but next time I meet up with him I'll try and get some more info for you.

Hello Basford Bill,

thank you for replying to me,

I have just phoned my dad and read your reply out to him, he doesnt reconise any of the names, but he said his sister Patrica might as she's 10 years older than him.

so i'll have to ask her for some help :)

my dad said grandad's brother was named Charlie, (as someone called Charlie posted on here..lol

also the post made by Charlie on here, dad said nope he doesnt know a linda or janice.

but he did say, grandads brother was called Charlie! but i said i dont think its our Charlie! :)

i wonder if it's his son or something?

I will have to ask my Aunty Pat and Aunty Kate, as Katie knew them all and she's 90 now but still got a sharp mind and doesnt mind talking about the old days! :)

• 11 months later...

hey guys its me sam.

just an update,

over the past few months i've been re-searching my family history.. and i've got a bigger family than i thought!

as afew of my grandad's siblings had large familys, and so did his aunts and uncles. lol

The Sandersons were from Basford, Nottingham (but most of them moved upto Clifton) after there parents passed away.

theres also some round the meadows too.

My grandads father was called William H Sanderson, his father was Thomas H Sanderson, and his father was William Sanderson.

so i've gone back to 1837 so far, but will have to goto the nottingham records office to go back further.

after i've done a search for, william's, brother's children's children. lol

so its going well.

they never owned any chip shops, and my grandad is one of about 10 or so! thumbsup

so i've got alot of re-searching to do yet, :)

my grandad's parents used to live on Knight's Row, in Basford, Nottingham. and we're quite a big clan from what my aunt told me.

they always used to have big partys, :tongue:

There's a Doreen & Len still out there somewhere, and i'd love to find them. :)

my grandad Ronald Sanderson was also in the St John Ambulance for Notts, as i've now got a photo of him with his 2 mates in his uniform off my aunt. :)

pretty cool & my hero!

he'd help people down the mines & at swimming pools.