Should be some good moments, plenty of stuff on at various places around the city.

I'm fancying a bit of Geno Washington and The Ram Jam Band on Sunday afternoon plus maybe some Beat and The Blockheads on the Monday.

Info

Full list of events:

Listings

As mentioned elsewhere (When this festival was first mentioned) I wanted to get across for the exact same ones as you mention but SWMBO is working so I can't get over

I went down this afternoon and some of the bands were surprisingly good, especially a Leicester band called The Displacements and another Midlands band called Envy And Other Sins.

There myspace sites are here-

http://www.myspace.com/envyandothersins

http://www.myspace.com/thedisplacements

There was also a cracking skiffle band on at St Peters gate called Railway Bill, try and catch them if they're around on any of the other days.

I took a few pictures and I'll take some more of Geno tomorrow and then I'll upload them.

Dropped by the square this afternoon and saw Geno washington and The Ram Jam Band.

A terrible afternoon weather-wise, the prospects didn't look goof when I walked by but a few minutes before the scheduled start to see a tiny, meagre 'crowd' standing in front of the stage. Popped into the Bell for a quick pint, (it's as of this night fully closed until 20th June for anyone interested) and came out at 3.20 to see the musicians still setting up.

Can I just say it was worth the wait and putting up with the weather? Geno and the band gave a superb performance. I thught at the time maybe that there would be many performers phased with such a hopeless situation, not Geno though. The band palyed a wide variety of stuff including lots of funk, soul, R & B and even a touch of blues. Geno was on good form and connected with the crowd well. He always comes over as such a great and sunny personality, a very uplifting guy I'd say.

The tiny crowd grew and grew into a respectable sized one over the duration of the set in spite of the heavy rain, Geno pulling the leg of the fans and involving them in the proceedings.

A damn good afternoon of entertainment. Well done Geno and The Band and also the organisers.

Stu is right, great show despite the atrocious weather - only risked the camera for a couple of shots -

2524311188_4634945173.jpg

2524311360_6244935a34.jpg

If anybody wants larger copies, just shout.

Stu is right, great show despite the atrocious weather - only risked the camera for a couple of shots -

2524311188_4634945173.jpg

2524311360_6244935a34.jpg

If anybody wants larger copies, just shout.

Glad you enjoyed it too, Zab. I had one friend who cried off due to the weather but I'm really glad we still went.

Nice shots Zab. Would you mind if I used them on my blog site, mate? I'd like to write up a little article about Geno.

Did he do his 'foaming at the mouth' routine , signifying that some one was a pervert? 'cos that looks like what he's doing in the photos

Nice shots Zab. Would you mind if I used them on my blog site, mate? I'd like to write up a little article about Geno.

No problem. Let me know when you've posted it and I'll have a look and a read. :smile:

Did he do his 'foaming at the mouth' routine , signifying that some one was a pervert? 'cos that looks loke what he's doing in the photos

Not sure, I was too busy trying to hold a camera and an umbrella at the same time!

Thanks for putting the pics on Zab..would loved to have been there but working 12 hour night shifts (last one tonight) so don't get up till around half 2.

Still have my copy of Geno's "Hand Clappin' Foot Stompin' Funky-Butt...Live" album from 66'..fantastic that he's still going.

pete c....still riding a vespa

Cheers Zab, will do.

Pete, I've still got that album too, in fact it's on my deck right now. I think that's Geno at his very best, he was always better live I reckon. I read that "Hand Clappin' Foot Stompin' Funky-Butt...Live" and "Hipsters,Flipsters,Finger-Poppin'Daddies" were two of the largest selling albums of the sixties.

Went back to the square yesterday and saw a bit of The Blockheads. Great stuff again. The thing about a lot of the guys from this generation is that they were all great musicians. The band is still really tight and went through a lot of the old favourites to a good reaction from the crowd. Unfortunately I couldn't stay for The Beat but would have liked to.

Before having to leave I had a quick pint outside Langtreys and in addition there was some fun music being performed on Forman Street too.

A thumbs up for the City Pulse festival from me then and let's hope it returns. In spite of criticism of the appearance of the refurbishment of the Market Square (me included) it should in fairness be said that its new practicality is providing some good opportunities, the outdoor ice ring, the wheel and now City Pulse. It's becoming a valuable resource for Nottingham these days.

Just had a peep at that web cam again and there is something on in the square now Tuesday 14.32 (A lot of people standing in a square dressed in red by the looks of it) Oh and it's raining

You have good tastes Stu..as well as the album I have 2 45's and a cd "Foot Stompin' Soul" which combines the 2 albums plus a disc of studio recordings..all excellent stuff..don't know if they were two of the largest selling albums of the 60's though..Hand Clapping spent 38 weeks in the album chart and Hipsters only 13 so not really long chart runs...great to listen to all the same..all together now GENO GENO GENO GENO!

pete c ....still riding a vespa

Just had a peep at that web cam again and there is something on in the square now Tuesday 14.32 (A lot of people standing in a square dressed in red by the looks of it) Oh and it's raining

I read that it was a protest against the Dalai Lama's visit, Ian.

I don't think I have ever seen a picture of the Dalai Lama in this country when it's not been raining!! he must think it pi55e5 it down all the time here!

You have good tastes Stu..as well as the album I have 2 45's and a cd "Foot Stompin' Soul" which combines the 2 albums plus a disc of studio recordings..all excellent stuff..don't know if they were two of the largest selling albums of the 60's though..Hand Clapping spent 38 weeks in the album chart and Hipsters only 13 so not really long chart runs...great to listen to all the same..all together now GENO GENO GENO GENO!

pete c ....still riding a vespa

Sounds like a bit of heresay then, Pete. Nevertheless as you say, great albums, full of energy with the superb horns of the Ram Jammers.

A few years back I used to get Rob Smith to save any Geno 45's he came across for me. Got quite a collection now. Somebody also bought me a relatively modern release of a lot of his old stuff called 'My Bomber, My Dexy's, My High' - pretty good.

Somebody also bought me a relatively modern release of a lot of his old stuff called 'My Bomber, My Sexy's, My High' - pretty good.

Wonder where they got that line from ??

Wonder where they got that line from ??

If I didn't have fingers like pork sausages today it would have read as "My Bombers, My Dexy's, My High"!

Hmm...I wonder!

Didn't notice the spelling mistake Stu

I just remember when we had him on at the Mardi gras his backing band used to wind him up something rotten with the ,,,,,,,,,,,Da dar, di dar, da dar, di dar intro from Dexis (Cos he hated it )

Didn't notice the spelling mistake Stu

I just remember when we had him on at the Mardi gras his backing band used to wind him up something rotten with the ,,,,,,,,,,,Da dar, di dar, da dar, di dar intro from Dexis (Cos he hated it )

Ha ha! Did you ever get to meet him mate? He really seems like a great guy I always think - full of life and fun.

I went to see Dexy's just after the Geno single was released on what they called The Projected Passion Review at Derby Assembly Rooms. The band were just awesome - one of the best I've ever seen live and that's saying something. I loved Dexy's from that period. Being a bit of an awkward cuss, Kevin Rowland declined to play 'Geno' even though it was a huge hit at the time. He also stopped the band playing and refused to resume until the crowd was in complete silence! A strange character but a nevertheless very creative one I have always thought. Superb soul band too. Powerful horns and tight as the proverbial duck's a**!

For Zab and anybody else interested, here's my take on Geno in Nottingham. Thanks to Zab for the pics. Cheers bud.

Geno! Geno! Geno!

Just a bit of triv .

Did you know that Mickey Billingham, formerly a member of Dexys Midnight Runners was playing with The Beat on Monday?

Enjoyed the Blockheads on Monday especially Sweet Gene Vincent with Derek The Draw doing a fine job in place of Ian Dury , if you had ever seen the Blockheads before , Derek was Durys mate & minder , he used to guide him to the microphone .

Only took a few photos kept bumping into people i knew , the one i did get was the bloke in the girls skirt who was later reprimanded by a copper , to the amusement of the crowd.

2533821136_f290a5899a_b.jpg