Freebee's Of Our Youth

When I was a a lad everybody gave away free stuff to market their product.

There don't apear to be much given a away today?

Come on Kelloggs, what happened to the cut out 3d Zebra head (on rear of pack), and the little plastic submarine that actually worked if you put baking powder in a hole in the bottom?

The below Freebee by Esso will now cost you at least 10 quid if you have one in it's original wrapper!

What freebees do you remember?

post-14-1107778008_thumb.jpg

B) Yes i remember that submarine, they were great fun..

B) There were so many, compasses, little plastic models,whistles.

B) I remember too the hardware salesman that came every two or three weeks selling brushs, dusters, mops, polish and little gadgets..Betterware that's him..in fact we still get Betterware catalogues pushed through the door now. His freebies use to be little tins of polish....

B) Also what about the reps that use to come around from the soap powder people Daz, Persil, OMO and so on.

B) I remember this one very will because his freebie was a record advertising Cherry B, it drove me mum Crazy.

Cherry B, Cherry B, Cherry B,

It's the only drink for you and me,

Cherry B, Cherry B, Cherry B, and so on i don't remember any more. can someone help with the rest .

post-14-1107789699_thumb.jpg

I used to like the ones you'd get in the comics, Dandy, Beano etc..

one in particular was the 'pop gun', a cardboard and paper device that folded together..

it required that you hold the cardboard whilst giving it a quick flick.. which had the effect of throwing out the folded paper causing a loud bang, terrific stuff!

and the 3d glasses! .. well you just knew you were onto something special with these.. seeing all that hidden code in the illustrations etc.. they were like magic!

and to see the Bash Street kids in glorious 3d was truely an event not to be missed!

ilko..

Yes! the Betterwear man, he was an institution,we always got something from him I remember he used to do the rounds with his suitcase ,leave a little catalogue & mum had to write down what she wanted & leave the book outside for him to collect. Don't remember details of the gadgets though,can anyone help me with those?

Caz

Thanks for that one too Ilko, forgot about the 'Pop Gun', but I think there was another name for it.

Wouldn't kids just love these nowadays? :lol:

And can you remember the 'Moon Rover' given away with breakfast cereal.

It consisted of a cardboard moonrover cut out,wax disk and elastic band.

By adding a cotton reel, matchchstick and feeding the elastic band through the reel.

Cut out on one side, match stick on the other, Wind it up, and you could explore the

moon surface, long before Neil Armstrong.

Anyone remember the sheets of rub down transfers that came with Shredded Wheat?

There was an illustration on the back of the box and you applied the transfers to create the scene of your choice.

Simple pleasures, eh? :lol:

Cheers,

Bamber

• 11 months later...

I remember the free tigers tail you got when you bought a certain brand of petrol, forget which brand now, everyone had one dangling from the back of their car or motor bike.

Hi ,

Okay maybe I'm showing my age/era and my comments should be directed to the "Fab 50s" but .........To-days kids don't want "cut-outs" or "mimi-toys", my grandkids 11 yr old boy & 9yr girl and all their friends are into "Video/Electronics/Play Stations" ....beyond me !!

Looking back to the 50s my highlight of the week was READING the likes of " The Wizard" "The Hotspur" and "The Adventure" ........Wilson ..of The Wizard...

Then again.... Memories distort with the passing of time.

Time ???? Coffee time....Cheers,

ron-san.

;) I buy cheap fibre fruit & nut breakfast from asda so i don't get any freebies. If you like your cerial with a free gift your going to have to pay for it.. Certain packets namely the expensive one's have the free gifts, but your right pem, kids nowadays just want computer games on their's I think the pop gun thing might be called a wizzzbang....And the Tigers tail from Esso also use to be put on the top of the ariel of the Mods Scooters....happy days