• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mick..Dungeon Club etc cd's posted this morning..expect it will be Tuesday before you see them with it being Bank Holiday..I have to work the next 4 nights!! so no holiday for me.

pete c....still riding a vespa

PeteC - got through the Rad YC cd's last night - great music and great quality. Cheers.

A pleasure Zab..will be doing a Vol 4 of Crossed Keys / Rad Y..when I get the time

pete c....still riding a vespa..unless it's raining!

Got my copy of this months Classic Scooterist Scene..great artical in there about a mod musical that is coming to the Theater Royal in June 2009..called The Mod Crop Musical..knowing the story I would expect the Dungeon Club to feature quite a lot in it...I order the mag through my newsagent but it can also be ordered online..only £2.95..it's got the two photo's in it that were taken in front of the Council House that are in the Mystery Mods of Nottingham forum...worth a look.

Also worth a look is this months Scootering mag...eight pages of Mods & Rockers from 1964..some great photo's..can usually get this mag in a lot of newsagents..Tesco also stock it..so you can have a quick read for free when you do your shopping.

Cheers Pete superb stuff , Mrs Red thinks shes back down the Brit (mod revival late 70s early 80s ) spoke to my sister on the phone says she remembers when a gang from the cross keys club went to see Hendrix & The Who ?

A couple of the other non black tracks that were played at The Dungeon deserve a mention here, "I could feel the whole world turn round underneath me, by the Shotgun Express with Rod Stewart on lead vocals, and Baby You Got It by The Action. Brilliant stuff!

In fact, let me mention that there were lots of non soul tracks played believe it or not, I remember Pretty Flamingo/ manfredd Mann, Theres a place/ Beatles Monday Monday and I saw her again/ mamas and Papas. Im a believer /monkees, and otheres ill mention when im not shooting off to work!

Cheers Pete superb stuff , Mrs Red thinks shes back down the Brit (mod revival late 70s early 80s ) spoke to my sister on the phone says she remembers when a gang from the cross keys club went to see Hendrix & The Who ?

Hi Nick..just read you message..glad you like them..think I know who Kath means about Hendrix & the Who..I wasn't one of them who went..we used to have groups like Ricky Trent and the Dangermen come play at the Crossed Keys..NOT my choice..wonder what happened to them...some good music came out of the mod revival, I used to buy a few 45's which I still have..Secret Affair..Lambrettas etc...does Kath still live in Nottingham?

I agree Craig..lots of non soul stuff played at the Dungeon.didn't want to include stuff that can be got on various compilation cd's on the Dungeon ones...tried to used a lot of music that you would only hear at the clubs back than...some of it hard to find even then..could have included Chris Farlow..Small Faces..Amen Corner..the Creation..Long John Baldry did some great stuff..but not Let The Heartaches Begin or Mexico!!..what about The Quik Berts Apple Crumble..could go on and on...when I was at the Boat used to have to play Sugar Sugar by the Archies!!..hated it..and Tracy by the Cufflinks..think they both had the same lead singer..absolute crap..one person I would never have played..hated him then and hate him now..king of the grease elvis presley.

pete c....off to work tonight on a vespa

No Kathy lives out D*rby way .

Right with me being far to young for the Dungeon Club !!!

I did also almost live in there when it was called The Asylum middle 80s ? remember seeing Frankie goes to Hollywood / Grace Jones / J. Walter Negro & the loose joints (1st time i'd ever heard of rap ) / B-Movie ect .

Tom Whelan did the door and used to let me queue jump which would continue right up Stanford street with many being locked out downstairs it used to get red hot the wallls where dripping wet !!!

Dug this flyer out my stash .

2518751652_e2950d4c7f.jpg

I believe Jonathan was the lad would worked in Arcade records there was another DJ called Naz or Natts ( short dreadlocks )

2518753870_6ec609ccc7.jpg

IMMSC DJ Jonathon had the surname Ball and came from Burton Joyce (He did work in arcade records) . He also worked Rock City for a long while, (And was my badminton partner in my early teens) Maybe a different Jonathon though

IMMSC DJ Jonathon had the surname Ball and came from Burton Joyce (He did work in arcade records) . He also worked Rock City for a long while, (And was my badminton partner in my early teens) Maybe a different Jonathon though

It was a different Jonathon, the Arcade/ Rock city Jon's surname is Woodliffe

Wow Nick..thanks for sharing the Asylum stuff..so that's another name for the old place..I've found more about it in a couple of months on here than in the past 40 years!!..Dungeon..Big Apple..8 till Late..Mario's..Venus and now Asylum..was that the last time it was used as a club?..was it anything before the Dungeon..maybe a jazz club?

On your flyer it has the the club as 8 Stanford Street..on my Dungeon membership card it's no 6..so I guess that's because they moved the entrance further up the street towards the allyway at Rodney House...the Dungeon entrance was where I took the photos for the cd's, where the stone pillars frame the doorway..when I went in the 8 till Late for my one and only visit it had been moved..this would be 1970..I first tried to take some photo's of my scooter on Stanford Street on a Sunday afternoon..big mistake..loads of cars and a nosey traffic warden..had to go back one midweek evening and wait till 8 pm for the street to be clear enough to take the photo's I wanted.

Hope Kath doesn't support the sheep!!!

Thanks again mate.

That's good to know!!!!!..when it was called Mario's it was also for a certain type of gentleman..mind you the greasers thought us mods were a bunch of poofs riding hairdryers!!!

pete c....still riding a vespa not a hairdryer

One Wednesday night, a mate I knew from school, Frank, and I went down to the club, and at finish time we started to leave, my mate was out first and starting to walk up Stanford St, I was just coming down the steps, as another mate pulled me back and warned me that "The Mini boys" were following Frank. We started to walk slowly up the street, and literally moments later the mini boys came running back down, having beaten up my mate because he used to be a fairground worker and wore an ear ring at a time when men apart from "gippos" didnt. One of the well known guys called Pete Lemon stopped Frank from getting beaten up worse, anybody here know him?

I think their reaction was brought about after there was some trouble around Goose Fair time involving a number of fair workers trying to get into the club, and not being allowed in.

Now I know where you are talking about A mate of mine (no names no pack drill) used to go on regular 'Gay bashing sessions' down there.

And Jonathon who I knew worked at Rock City definately had the last name Ball

Now I know where you are talking about A mate of mine (no names no pack drill) used to go on regular 'Gay bashing sessions' down there.

And Jonathon who I knew worked at Rock City definately had the last name Ball

In that case (re Jonathon) it isnt the same guy who was the one whos name you would see on posters around Nottingham, cos he was defintely Jonathon Woodliffe, who at one time owned the original copy of Frank Wilsons Do I Love You, which he traded to Kev Roberts for a big pile of jazz funk type stuff on 12" and album.

Mind you I did say I was probably wrong

Jonathan Ball practically started Rock City (D.J. wise) single handedly, as I say he was a good mate of mine from years back (Like 35 or more years ago)

Mind you I did say I was probably wrong

Jonathan Ball practically started Rock City (D.J. wise) single handedly, as I say he was a good mate of mine from years back (Like 35 or more years ago)

Funny thing here Beefy is that the Jonathon I know fits that bill re Rock City, im just leaving Kev Thomas (Arcade Records) a message to clarify if the 2 people are indeed the same person!