Shoulder of mutton Basford...

Are we talking of the pub where McDonalds is now ,on Valley Road. ?? If so the year it was done up to fun pub was 1981 not long before Charles and Di got married . I took a girl I was seeing at the time in there (Her name was Dianna thats how I remember)

Got another tale about that place too. Mick might help out here , I recall that some entrapaneurs took over (After it had been closed down and boarded up ) reconnected the electricity, and started selling their own booze , it went on for ages until they were caught!!

I can remember there being a fun fair in the car park but can't remember if it was before or after the goose fair

Rog

Quite true re the guys who "unofficially" ran it, one still local to basford, Remember the old shoulder when Harry Blackburn ran it in 1960's then later played a gig there and did a few disco's it was still the SoM night of "The Big Storm" when Southern England devasted, complete SoM chimney stack finished up in the cellar while pub was open! re the wakes, car park was overflow from main fair on Billy Bacon's (field, with altered route of river leen and day brook still there opposite Cowley Street) Can anyone remember the either RSPCA or PDSA mobile vets that parked up one morning a week on SoM car park? might have been an old ambulance? I know I took a puppy there to be put down about 1960 (Ahh)

The SoM was originally on corner of Fairfax Street which ran from Radford Rd to Nottingham Rd, such all demolished when Valley Rd built can't remember it as before I was born!

Can anyone remember the either RSPCA or PDSA mobile vets that parked up one morning a week on SoM car park? might have been an old ambulance?

PDSA vehicle was also a weekly regular in the Cocked Hat car park on Broxtowe Lane...

Cheers

Robt P.

Can someone tell me the name change when it became a fun pub...thanks in advance.

I think it became the Rocket as a fun pub, in 1982 because I went in to wet my baby's head,it might have changed it name again by the time I got chucked out. Jan the soulman

• 2 weeks later...