My grandfather was the master of the SS Nottingham which sailed out of Grimsby to Rotterdam and Hamburg. I have a photo of him on board the Nottingham. He was also master of the SS Bury and other LNER steamers out of Grimsby. He brought many of the refugees ( mainly Jews ) over to Grimsby on their way to America via Liverpool on his return journeys. Janet Clarke in Grimsby

I think that some where in the archive there is a picture or two of said ship , when i get a minute I shall have a look

Ayup to you too by the way

He brought many of the refugees ( mainly Jews ) over to Grimsby on their way to America via Liverpool on his return journeys

Some of the refugees, including my grandfather, didn't go to the States but stayed in Yorkshire because they liked it so much !englandflag!

He sailed on 14 Sept 1898 on the SS Nottingham from Hamburg to Grimsby. Was your grandfather in the service at that period?

Kerrywood

Some of the refugees, including my grandfather, didn't go to the States but stayed in Yorkshire because they liked it so much !englandflag!

He sailed on 14 Sept 1898 on the SS Nottingham from Hamburg to Grimsby. Was your grandfather in the service at that period?

Kerrywood

Hi Kerrywood, Welcome.

Where was your Grandfather from? What trade did he take up?

Re Hull-Rotterdam, of course there is! I got mixed up, and that was before I'd had a drink! Was confusing that crossing with the one across The Humber to New Holland, :angry2: Had relations in Hull in 1950's and a week or fortnight there with day trips to Hornsea Withensea Bridlington etc a holiday, also trip on paddle steamer as above was a treat, Think those boats originally (maybe then still?) owned by railways, I know they connected with such at New Holland, My uncle one night went over to some pub there, missed last boat and staff let him sleep in a railway carriage!