johnmartyn.jpg

I heard on the radio that John Martyn had died this morning, sad day.

For those not familiar, he was one of our underrated great singer song writers and guitarists, I believe he features on Transatlantic Sessions, BBC4 7:30 tomorrow night for those unlucky enough not to have seen him.

I first saw him in the early 70's at Trent Poly Union, a concert marred by ignorant people pushing constantly in front of him to get to the bar, he featured tracks from his unforgetable album 'Solid Air'.

I was then lucky enough to be invited to the Radio Nottingham studio a couple of years later by Trevor Dann to sit in on a live interview with him by John Holmes followed by a memorable concert at Nottingham University.

I last saw him at the London Fleadgh in the 90's and was hoping that his up and coming tour would take him to the Cambridge Corn Exchange, but sadly that won't happen.

John Martyn RIP.

Another sad loss but I know he had been ill for some time.

I can definitely say he's one of the best guitarists I've ever seen and I have to agree about Solid Air, what an album - I think I need to play that album now.

Zab

By coincidence he featured on Transatlantic Sessions last friday night featuring a performance of 'May you Never' accompanied by the equally awsome Jerry Douglas, amazing. I know that he had a leg amputated a few years ago, but he was still touring last year and planned some more dates in March.