Where, When & Who?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Local Government Act of 1972 abolished County Boroughs (such as Nottingham), Municipal Boroughs (such as Mansfield), Urban Districts (such as Beeston & Stapleford) and Rural Districts (such as Basford).

So the last meeting of Beeston UDC must have been in March 1974 as Broxtowe came into being on April 1st 1974.

I guessed it was the local council changes of 1972

Carlton Urban District Council became Gedling Borough too

Local Government Act of 1972 abolished County Boroughs (such as Nottingham), Municipal Boroughs (such as Mansfield), Urban Districts (such as Beeston & Stapleford) and Rural Districts (such as Basford).

So the last meeting of Beeston UDC must have been in March 1974 as Broxtowe came into being on April 1st 1974.

Nice one Bamber.

Beeston and Stapleford UDC used to have elections every 3 years: 1964, 1967, 1970 etc. Due to the Maude Report B&S UDC became part of the enlarged Broxtowe District Council. The councillors elected in 1970 had their term of office extended past the normal election date of first week May 1973 and sat until March 31st 1974.

Broxtowe District Council members were elected in May 1973 and shadowed B&S UDC, Basford (part) and Eastwood UDC (part) for the 11 months between May 1973 and April 1974. Some councillors sat on both authorities.

Broxtowe became a Borough Council in late 1977.

I will leave you guessing about the names, I know them all. Some on the back row are officers, not councillors. At least one is still with us, well known in Beeston area - 2 points if you identify him.

(And no, it's not me, I'm not that old!)

Martine cant remember any names but she says she remembers an Aunty Margaret working in a baker shop on the high road...She believes Margaret worked for HER Aunty, so that was on her Grandads side o family....So that could be them.

...Thinks there were Gore's in Bramcote too as her Grandad used to drink in 'Top House' in the 50s...they lived off Queens rd then on Evelyn st...No 3.

Martine cant remember any names but she says she remembers an Aunty Margaret working in a baker shop on the high road...She believes Margaret worked for HER Aunty, so that was on her Grandads side o family....So that could be them.

...Thinks there were Gore's in Bramcote too as her Grandad used to drink in 'Top House' in the 50s...they lived off Queens rd then on Evelyn st...No 3.

Some more Gore family names (& birth years)

Frederick 1906

Francis 1907

Eric 1909

Reginald 1912

Ida 1914

Cyril 1916

Kathleen 1919

Gwen 1921

Ok,

We already have Beeston Town Hall, the Old Council Chamber.

March 1974

Last meeting of Beeston & Stapleford UDC

It only leaves the names:

I'll give you a starter:

Front row, second right is Michael Wright, (the "Michael" of Michael Vernon Agencies, estate agent of Beeston)

well if michael wright is there maybe his mate Vernon is on it , along with maybe some of the following has been's of the time.walter hayes

harold clifford

? pounder

Victor oade

one of the westermanns

one of the willoughby's

ashley peake

!laughing!

Some more Gore family names (& birth years)

Frederick 1906

Francis 1907

Eric 1909

Reginald 1912

Ida 1914

Cyril 1916

Kathleen 1919

Gwen 1921

Frederick was her Grandad

She knows the names Reginald, Ida, Cyril and Gwen too...But not the other names.